Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you value shop?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    I think ultimately the difference in recommended brands between a large portion of Dappered readers and SF readers is how seriously the readership takes clothing as a hobby or lifestyle.

The Dappered readers seem to be looking to dress sharp to the point that returns really start to diminish. Dressing well is important, but there are probably other hobbies and priorities in life. A $225 lambswool cable knit sweater from Drake's London is something I drool over, but I would be physically ill if I ever pull the trigger.

SF seems to cater to the "all in" clothes hound. There is a lot of emphasis on "grail" items and honing a very particular aesthetic.

I tend to split the difference both in purchases and in readership. For weekends, JCrew mainline does the trick. I thrift for the big stuff. I got a Schott leather bomber on eBay this summer for $150.

For work, 98% of what I wear is Spier & MacKay and Suitsupply, but I really splurge on accessories. Drake's, Shibumi Berlin, Berg & Berg make up most of my ties, pocket squares and socks. I feel they are worth the extra spend for the aesthetic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    250 Post(s)

How do you value shop?

Value is relative. One guy's value is another's hopeless extravagance. It also takes a lot of research and, unfortunately, a bit of trial and error, or at least experimentation.

I own Suitsupply Blue, Purple and Red lines. In my opinion, Purple Line suits are far superior to Blue Line suits and definitely worth the extra cash. I like my basic Red Line suits (Siennas) as well, but I can't say they are markedly better. I also have a Jort, which is amazing and gets a ton of compliments, but is in another league price wise.

If I had to pick the best value for money, I would go with a Purple Line Lazio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    I overall agree that value diminished with increased price but all this talk seems to assume that fabric and craftsmanship are the only things that increase with price point. In fact, for many items, I find that there are design and fit elements that differentiate higher price point items. For example, unless you go custom, it is nearly impossible to find higher rise pants with side tabs. The same can be seen in terms of sleeker/dressy lasts in welted shoes. In addition, some items can fit better depending on body type.

I approach new purchases by first identifying what elements I am interested in. I also keep in mind things that are easy to tailor or not. Then I find specific products that have all the features I am looking for. Depending how much I need (want?) an item and it's price, I may order a few to try them out or just wait for sales. I keep a list of items that I think would fill a void in my wardrobe and once on sale, I buy. Same for eBay lists.

In terms of trousers, I have year rounder ones from LE and they are good but the drape/fit for me doesn't compare with my VBC flannels from J Crew ($60 on sale) or eHaberdasher pants ($120). In this case, I think the up charge for the later gets me higher rise pants that are very hard to find cheaper. Also in great fabrics.

JBarwick - look in the measurements for eHaberdasher pants as they vary a ton. I don't find a real difference (maybe 0.25 inch) in leg opening compared to my Napoli/Havana pants.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    743 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doomx View Post
    JBarwick - look in the measurements for eHaberdasher pants as they vary a ton. I don't find a real difference (maybe 0.25 inch) in leg opening compared to my Napoli/Havana pants.
    I am not a huge fan of the Napoli leg opening as I have larger calves so the drape is thrown off. This is after I already purchased 2 Napolis and feel self conscious about the pants every time I wear them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    I've always considered value to be an inverse function the cost of an item divided by the number of times you're going to wear it. My old navy t-shirts, by that metric, have the highest value because they cost next to nothing and I wear them almost every day.

If you're going to wear a suit often, or a higher end piece of clothing, then do the same calculation, will you wear it enough to make it worth your trouble?