Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picked up this mid-2000s Omega Seamaster 300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    I think the difference is that yours has the older movement cal 1120, and the ones that say coaxial have the newer cal 2500. You likely won't notice a difference in performance.
    Token- You may be right about the movements. But mine is a 2003 and the coaxial with the skeleton hands and the smaller hour marks pre dates 2000 - so it's definitely not newer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by migrabill View Post
    Token- You may be right about the movements. But mine is a 2003 and the coaxial with the skeleton hands and the smaller hour marks pre dates 2000 - so it's definitely not newer.
    You're correct that the cal 2500 came out in 1999, before your watch was produced in 2003, but it's based off of the older cal 1120 that's in yours.

https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Omega_1120

As far as preference there are plenty of people who prefer the 1120 since without the coaxial escapement it's easier to find someone to service it. The 2500 should theoretically be a bit more accurate and be able to go longer without servicing, but I think those differences are insignificant as far as impact on your day to day.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    822 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan850 View Post
    Ask him when he last had it serviced. High end watches need to be serviced periodically and it can cost about 500 depending on what is needed.
    On the other hand, I'd recommend hanging on there before doing anything and doing some research. There is considerable debate in the watch world around this. Those who say that watches, like cars, need to be serviced regularly. Then there are those who say that if the watch is running fine, not loosing in anytime, then don't bother with the maintenance.

I am on the fence when it comes to this myself and keep going back and forth. Even checking in with the watch geeks/friends that I know personally I get conflicting answers. One buddy, who owns many different high end watches (IWC, Patek, Rolex, Omega, and on) does no service to his watches. Ever. Then I have another friend who takes his Omega in every five years or so.

When it comes down to it, I guess you just have to do what feels right for you.