Thread: Wolverine McClean leather question

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Wolverine McClean leather question

I wrote to Wolverine asking what specific color my McCleans are. They responded that they are brown, but is not Chromexcel. They said: "The McClean boot was made with a full grain leather whereas the original 1000 Mile boot is made with Chromexcel leather."

I thought the McCleans were Chromexcel as well, so now i am a little confused. For care and maintenance, i use polish then, right (versus just buffing them as with CXL)?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Anyone?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    I can't speak to care & maintenance, but the Nordstrom website states that they are Horween Chromexcel (McCleans were a Nordstrom exclusive).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    The ones I got from Nordstrom are, if not CXL, SOME kind of pull up leather.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    That's what i thought too. Is the Wolverine person i exchanged emails with wrong?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbiscuit View Post
    That's what i thought too. Is the Wolverine person i exchanged emails with wrong?
    To my knowledge, all Horween CXL is full grain leather, so the fact that the CS rep tried to distinguish between CXL and full grain leather means that they probably don't know what they're talking about. If you post some pictures we might be able to help you figure out whether it's CXL or something else. If it is CXL then brush regularly and condition every once in a while. If it's calfskin or something similar to that then you should add some type of polish to your routine.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)
    According to Horween's tannage list, they make their Chromexcel leather out of full grain leather.

This is a little bit unique, I don't think most mundane pull-up leather is full grain at all. Especially not ones with darker colors.

When i see chromexel leather, it's not like some fancy shiny full grain destined for a dress shoe, most of the pieces of it that I have seen have tons of neat swirls and imperfections that give it a lot of awesome character. I would imagine that there might be some other grades (and weights) floating around too, but i have seen pretty consistent ones.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Leathercraf...f_it_comes_in/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Assuming they are CXL, what should my expectations be for my after-brushing? Radical, like-new change or just a cleaner, slightly less scuffed version?