Thread: Dress Work Boots! Is it really that Hard to make a Safety toe decent looking BOOT?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dress Work Boots! Is it really that Hard to make a Safety toe decent looking BOOT?

I can't be the only one who is required to wear either Steel, aluminum or safety toed slip resistant shoes to work. I've have scoured the internet for days in search of dress boot that can meet these requirements. Iíve even search custom places like whites & nicks and even they donít have a good looking boot. Iíd settle for nothing on the toe but heck a cap toe would be nice. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I missing something? Iíd even spend $500-$600 bucks. Itís like they just do not exist.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Chippewa Apaches

Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1478 Post(s)
    I don't know why you would need or want a dress boot with safety toe anymore than you would need or want a business suit made of Gore-Tex.

If you work where safety toes are required then you should be wearing a work boot. Thorogood, Chippewa, Danner, etc all make classic looking work boots with safety toe options.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a manager in a food plant for a large company. A lot of companies are now requiring safety toe just because of safety regulations. We haven't had a foot injury in 30 years.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Have you seen steel toes being tested? They crush/deform quite a bit. You need that extra space so your toes don't get guillotined off. And a lot of what makes safety boots ugly, IMO is that huge bulbous toe box.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    Have you seen steel toes being tested? They crush/deform quite a bit. You need that extra space so your toes don't get guillotined off. And a lot of what makes safety boots ugly, IMO is that huge bulbous toe box.
    Exactly this. You can't make a sleek steel-toe/safety shoe. That's why they don't exist. You also can't buy a felt hat that OSHA will approve as a hard hat or a sports coat that doubles as a motorcycle jacket.

Embrace the workboot look.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    250 Post(s)
    There is very limited demand for such a product. I work in finance, but sometimes I have to visit power plants and construction sites. I've looked for something that works with selvedge denim and a blazer for years but haven't found anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    824 Post(s)
    Have you given Doc Martens a look? The last time I was in one of their shops they had a full section of boots dedicated to steel toed boots. I'm partial to Docs (still wearing them, 30 years later) so I have a bias here. But if you like the look of Doc Martens boots, give them a try.

This is from a quick google image search.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Blundstones? Comfortable and will last you about 2-3 years a pair with heavy use.