Thread: First Pair of Suede Chukkas - How to Care for Them?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

First Pair of Suede Chukkas - How to Care for Them?

I picked up a my first pair of suede shoes from JCrew. I am tying to figure out what i need to do about caring for suede shoes. I spent the last hour reading about suede care and reviews and Im all sorts of confused about which way to go.

1. Should i waterproof them / protect them?
    2. Which cleaner should i use when it is time?
    3. Which eraser should i use?
    4. Which brush should i use?

I have Jason Markk protect, shoe cleaner, and the premium brush. I was reading that you need to be careful with protect as if it is dyed it could ruin the suede. Any experience with it? Most reviews of their eraser were positive with a few negative. Am I better off with Saphir's eraser instead of Jason Markk's? I can get the Saphir for the same price as the brush / eraser from Jason Markk. I already have the premium brush so i dont think the brush is a deal breaker.

What do you recommend for complete suede shoe care from start to finish? Also, let me know if i am way over thinking this. It seems like it could be a pain to keep clean.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    I use a Kiwi suede protector spray. The color becomes slightly darker but then returns to baseline within a few hours. I have used the AE suede cleaning travel kit before (brush and eraser) with good effect. I also got the Saphir suede shampoo which completely restores the suede back to new condition. I don't think this is really necessary for routine care, but I had an oil drip stain on a snuff suede shoe, and this took care of it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)
    https://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-c...are-for-suede/
    https://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-c...n-suede-shoes/

I use Nanoprotector on my suede shoes. Water rolls off of them better than smooth leather. I re-apply every so often, especially if I think it will rain the day I'm wearing them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    I use meltonian suede protector, has never changed the color of my shoes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    I never understand the paranoia associated with suede. I have a pair of Church's chukkas in dark brown suede with Dainite soles. I spray the Nanoprotector on them every few months. I wore them all over Dublin for four days in the pouring rain. It simply added a little "character" to them. It didn't damage them. I wear these things like daily driver beater trucks. They've taken it all in stride. If I was allowed to keep only one pair of shoes, these would be it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    https://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-c...are-for-suede/
    https://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-c...n-suede-shoes/

I use Nanoprotector on my suede shoes. Water rolls off of them better than smooth leather. I re-apply every so often, especially if I think it will rain the day I'm wearing them.
    +1 on the Tarrago Nanoprotector, the best I have used, but to be honest the products I bought at the shoe store previously were satisfactory as well.

If your suede shoes do get wet, let them air dry (no heat) and they should be fine. Shoe trees are in order just as with smooth leather shoes.

I have 4 pairs of suede shoes/boots and find them easy to care for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt Dalton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    I’ve used jason markk shoe cleaner on my suede shoes that were a rust color and they faded the color. I’d avoid using it.