Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&M ocbd - pockets

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    339 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan850 View Post
    What's what I was thinking.

I love on the west coast so technical attire is not really a thing. Most people just wear collared shirt and pants with no real thought to collar type, fabric, type of pants, etc.

This is to say that I can bend the "rules" quite a bit since it is not so formal and people don't tend to notice the minor fashion cues or mistakes
    Most people everywhere will not notice "mistakes". I'm in the New England area and I'd wager if I asked 10 people what an OCBD was 9 or 10 would not have a clue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Most people everywhere will not notice "mistakes". I'm in the New England area and I'd wager if I asked 10 people what an OCBD was 9 or 10 would not have a clue.
    Exactly. I think you're pretty safe going with your personal preference on the pocket/no pocket question; I can't imagine more than a tiny fraction of people know what the rule is there.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    I like pockets on my OCBD's - perfect spot for my sunglasses. They are more casual by design, so a pocket makes sense. On Oxford dress shirts, though, pockets shouldn't be included IMO. Why some manufacturers include them is beyond me..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Specifically, have people taken the pocket off the S&M button down dress shirts?

I want to make sure that if I take the pocket off, it won't be noticeable.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/blue-...ford-slim.html

Thanks!

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm in the New England area and I'd wager if I asked 10 people what an OCBD was 9 or 10 would not have a clue.
    I live literally a mile from Harvard, in Brighton, a mile and a half away from J. Press. and Harvard Square. I would still wager this to be the case where I live as well.

The whole supposed huge convergence of mens fashion and trad that allegedly happens in Boston is actually very very subtle. If you go over to Harvard, there are a few kids still dress that way because their dad, and his dad did, but the majority of kids that do it day to day is very minimal. I think most Harvard Undergraduates probably barely even own a sport coat, unless they got a gift card to J Crew from their mom.

I would very much like to say it happens, because I have a certain rose colored trad glasses kind of thing, but the reality is that as day to day wear for new englanders, it's nearly dead.

What I think does happen in boston however, is a lot of accidental trad casual dressing without even realizing it. I think a lot of people who don't leave boston area, and have this whole lifetime of seeing people wearing trad things all over the place. I think they just think everyone everywhere else dresses like a vineyard vines model all the time, and that wearing their shabby boat shoes are just OK everywhere, all the time, no matter the season. A whole lot of people don't wear their Bean Boots because they're cool, they wear them because they last forever and you can ford ice rivers a foot tall in them. People in Government who often wear ties, frequently wear button down collars like it never went out of style. I think there is a pervasiveness about the 'Trad' components in the culture that has been hard to shake, even if it's rare to see overall.
    Last edited by evanparker; September 26th, 2017 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)
    The big difference between here and other places is that I know if I am dressed up in my AE Kenwoods and a BB Navy and gold button blazer, or even a repp tie and a tweed sportcoat, people think I am dressed up.

If I do that somewhere else, they either think i'm some kind of elite asshole, or (at best) stole their grandpa's clothes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    all good points evan.

fashion seems to have shifted more towards "wear what you like" utilizing basic principles.

And being on the west coast, sport coat and tie is considered dressed up if not overly dressed. Suffice to say, i guess i should not worry either way.