Thread: Scuff on my top coat? Repair?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Scuff on my top coat? Repair?

Hey, longtime reader of dappered but brand new to the forums and I've got a problem I'm not sure how to solve. I bought a camel top coat and a scuff has appeared on the lapel. Its hard to describe but its like something abrasive was rubbed in a finger nail sized area over and over. The "fuzz" of the wool, or top layer of the coat, appears to have been rubbed off and the bare fabric thread is exposed. Hopefully makes sense. Does anyone know if this is repairable or at least disguise-able?

It wouldn't be too much of any issue anywhere else but its right on the lapel and someone noticed it immediately when I wore it.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
    Hey, longtime reader of dappered but brand new to the forums and I've got a problem I'm not sure how to solve. I bought a camel top coat and a scuff has appeared on the lapel. Its hard to describe but its like something abrasive was rubbed in a finger nail sized area over and over. The "fuzz" of the wool, or top layer of the coat, appears to have been rubbed off and the bare fabric thread is exposed. Hopefully makes sense. Does anyone know if this is repairable or at least disguise-able?

It wouldn't be too much of any issue anywhere else but its right on the lapel and someone noticed it immediately when I wore it.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    WELCOME FRIEND! Glad you could be here.

In regards to the coat, after a less than thorough browser search, I am not sure that you'd be able to repair the issue. It's not exactly a tear in the fabric it sounds like, so it couldnt really be re-sewn or the fabric re-woven. You could always just take into a tailor and get their opinion if you have one locally.
    In terms of a possible fix, depending on where the spot is located, maybe just cover it up with some sort of lapel pin?

Don't know if any of that helps, but maybe?
    Best of luck with it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Useknifeonly View Post
    In terms of a possible fix, depending on where the spot is located, maybe just cover it up with some sort of lapel pin?
    That ^ . Or have a decorative button hole sewn on, either same/close color as the top coat or contrast color for some flair.

Maybe you can transplant some wool from the inside of the jacket and glue it in or something?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    181 Post(s)
    @Buzzword -- You might want to carefully look over your jacket and any other wool clothing to rule out moth damage. Moth bites are more typical at the end of the sleeves, but the lapel is an unusual place to have an abrasion. Maybe it came from a seat belt?