Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSW house brand shoes

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1362 Post(s)

DSW house brand shoes

Anyone have any experience with the DSW house brand shoes? Joe posted an item about their chukkas being on sale https://dappered.com/2017/09/inexpen...sales-handful/ and it has me wondering if I should check them out.

Or, if I should just save my money and spend it on higher quality/end shoes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    450 Post(s)
    I’ve got several pairs of Ashton’s Grey shoes and really like them. Now I’ve never owned AES to compare them with. What I like is they fit well, hold up (several of mine are a few years old), mostly classic styles, and are budget friendly. I’d rather get new shoes every 3-5 years rather than get a higher end shoe that can be resoled etc.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)
    If you like the look and don't mind that they'll eventually need replacing after a few years (assuming you wear them more than a handful of times per year of course) go for it. They're a great inexpensive option that can fill the niche and worst case be used as a stylish pair of shoes you won't mind throwing on if the weather turns squiffy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have some Aston Grays and love them. I will definitely look at them for purchases in the future. For the price they are solid.

With tha said, joe is killing me with the frequent chukka mentions. I tried to buy them the first time they were mentioned but sizes are VERY limited. So, unless you are an 8, 8.5 or 13 you are out of luck like me.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1064 Post(s)
    I feel like Ashton Gray is worth the cash, especially if you get them during a coupon or that tiered sale they do. Of course, they dont cost much so dont expect them to last forever. I think they are great filler shoes. Thats what I call those specific shoes I dont wear much but like to have.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)
    I have a pair of burgundy wingtips from them and they are actually quite nice. The leather feels good and is reasonably thick. The color is amazing though, a lot of depth and variation to it but not quite museum.
    I'd say go for it at those prices. If you've got a DSW near you (are there any Beyond the Wall?) They have extra % discounts on their clearance shoes in store.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Agree with all of the above. I have a couple of pairs of their shoes (wingtips and suede bucks) and they're pretty good quality for < $100 shoes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I have some wannabe Strands by Aston Grey, solid shoes for the price.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    I agree that for the price range, the Ashton Grey ones are fashionable, and built ok. They're much better than comparably priced aldo or whatever other brand's shoes you might try to compare them to.

i would still recommend shoebank AE's to anyone over those any day of the week but that's me :-D

I think if you can get most of their models for under $100, for occasional use they're pretty good. I wouldn't pay more than that for them though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    I have a pair of Mercanti Fiorentini, which is their own GYW made in italy line. They are very comfortable, and have been going strong for four year now. There is some wear in them, more than AE. The leather is much thinner than AE, which means they break-in is essentially zero, but their longevity is not the same. They can be had for low 100s, which makes it a tough proposition compared to AE 2nds, but nevertheless, I am happy with them.