Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DSW house brand shoes

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Mercanti shoes are good year welted? Wow--I did not know that. A very good deal for the price then for sure.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doomx View Post
    I have a pair of Mercanti Fiorentini, which is their own GYW made in italy line. They are very comfortable, and have been going strong for four year now. There is some wear in them, more than AE. The leather is much thinner than AE, which means they break-in is essentially zero, but their longevity is not the same. They can be had for low 100s, which makes it a tough proposition compared to AE 2nds, but nevertheless, I am happy with them.
    Where did you hear that they're GYW? Dappered main site says they're very likely cemented, and DSW doesn't mention any welting in the description.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    I stand corrected. They are not.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    On a slightly different note I see that GH Bass is making a new line of (imported) gyw shoes. I wonder if sites like this have convinced them that there is a market for a decently constructed shoe.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftToole View Post
    On a slightly different note I see that GH Bass is making a new line of (imported) gyw shoes. I wonder if sites like this have convinced them that there is a market for a decently constructed shoe.
    Are they selling under the GH Bass name or another? I bought a pair of Bass Weejun "Logans" off them around 3 years ago and they are GYW, but are junk polished leather.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Are they selling under the GH Bass name or another? I bought a pair of Bass Weejun "Logans" off them around 3 years ago and they are GYW, but are junk polished leather.
    They are being sold as GH Bass "monogram collection." Don't own a pair so I don't know the leather quality but for the price ($140--but $112 after the almost constant 20% off discount) I imagine they are corrected grain. Still, interesting that a company that seemed to be emphasizing cheap (the last 2 Bass shoes I bought were $49 and $39) now has a "made in the USA" line and this gyw (but not made in the USA) collection. I'd say the recognize that a segment of the public assumes gyw = "quality' and will consider the price a bargain.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quoted
    500 Post(s)
    They are almost all "polished leather," which is not just corrected grain, but almost patent leather. They are very heavily corrected indeed. It is like the Johnston and Murphy Melton line - but an exaggerated version (and by the way a sales associate at J&M once described the Melton to me as being virtually patent leather). I would personally far rather buy a shoe that was less shiny and less liable to scuff badly within a few wears but was not goodyear welted than a shoe that is that heavily polished but goodyear welted. A cemented shoe with decent but not great leather could be serviceable for several years and you might even be able to get a resole out of it - though probably not multiple resoles. But a heavily polished and corrected shoe will not look good to begin with and even if that's to your taste, it will look poor within six months at the very most. The apron grain shoes might be a better bet, though.

G H Bass's Made in the USA shoes are probably better - but they are also likely corrected grain, as they call them "genuine leather." Still, at least they are not so highly polished and the weejun versions are "hand stitched." But $325 for shoes and $350 for boots seems way too much for me for shoes that don't market themselves as being goodyear welted or even blake stitched. Perhaps they are welted. Even so, that's higher than one needs to pay for a welted shoe - AE can go lower, J&M has plenty of welted shoes for less, so do Florsheim and J. Crew's Ludlow and Kenton lines, and you can get Meermin or Loake or sometimes Barker for less, too. Or SuitSupply outlet or Jack Erwin for shoes on a blake stitch for good weather conditions. Even Banana Republic's new welted shoes will go for $210 on one of the regular 40% off sales. And even the perennially overpriced Cole Haan probably has some welted shoes that can be had for less than $200 from time to time (I haven't checked their website in ages, so I don't know this for sure).

I've thought about trying out Bass from time to time - I can imagine myself spending $40 or $50 on a white or tan buck from them, or perhaps even a Weejun if I ever see them go on discount to somewhere around $80. But unless I see the Made in USA line both on deep discount and confirmed as welted, I'll stay away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftToole View Post
    They are being sold as GH Bass "monogram collection." Don't own a pair so I don't know the leather quality but for the price ($140--but $112 after the almost constant 20% off discount) I imagine they are corrected grain. Still, interesting that a company that seemed to be emphasizing cheap (the last 2 Bass shoes I bought were $49 and $39) now has a "made in the USA" line and this gyw (but not made in the USA) collection. I'd say the recognize that a segment of the public assumes gyw = "quality' and will consider the price a bargain.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I own Aston Gray "Strands" as well as Mercanti wingtips shoes and boots. They all have been going for 3 years I believe, minimal care, holding up just fine.
    Shoes are on probably once a week rotation, boots are barely broken in because I only wear them in the fall (leather sole, "Dalton/Walnut").

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    I have a pair of strand-ish mercantis that I really like. The leather is decent, the shoe fits well, and they cost 80 bucks on sale. I wouldn't spend over 100 bucks on that brand, but you can do worse. I've had them for maybe 18 months and they get worn once a week, are not babied, get minimal care, and they have held up very well.

I actually looked at the DSW website the other day during a sale and I didn't see any styles I was interested in, but I would buy again. Checked ebay but the deals on mercantis are not good enough to deal with the ebay hassle.