Thread: Matching shoe and belt colors

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Matching shoe and belt colors

Just looking for opinions on shoe/belt color options.

1. I have burgundy shoes (AE Strands is Merlot) but not the matching belt. Would black be better? Or reddish brown? The merlot shoes get worn almost exclusively with grey and black trousers or chinos (sometimes navy)
    2. I have olive suede shoes but I do see myself buying an olive belt. Any suggestions? I was thing a very light tan or natural color might be best but have no idea?
    3. Any other non-matching shoe/belt color combos that you think really work?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quoted
    500 Post(s)
    So, I have shoes in the following colors: black, multiple shades of brown in both leather and suede, couple of shades of burgundy [AE merlot + AE oxblood], green leather, dark blue suede, grey suede.

I have belts in the following: black, multiple shades of brown [all leather], burgundy [AE merlot], very dark blue/navy suede, grey suede. I also have a casual red belt that's a legacy of a trip to a tannery in Morocco during my honeymoon.

I think that it's a good idea to have a burgundy belt for burgundy shoes but I think either merlot or oxblood work with each other. You could probably get chili, if you want something that's reddish brown rather than burgundy, and I think it'd match your merlot shoes closely enough. Still, if you're buying it now, I would get an oxblood belt, as I think that's within the same color family as merlot, whereas chili is halfway between burgundy and brown.

I own green shoes but not a green belt. I wear my lighter brown belts with my green shoes. They are casual anyway, so I don't think the matching is as important. For what it's worth, I used to wear brown belts with all my sneakers. But now that I have a grey belt, I normally but not always wear that with my grey sneakers [I have grey canvas Vans and grey wool BR sneakers].

If I get grey leather or blue/navy leather shoes, I would probably just wear them with my grey/navy suede belts. I think that would be fine. The only reason I might ever pick up a smooth leather belt in either color is if I got a really dressy pair of shoes in that color such as the AE Park Avenue in midnight navy. But I don't think I'll do that. For very dressy shoes, I'd likely stick to black, dark or medium brown, or burgundy. There could be a place for grey or blue smooth leather shoes, but in my mind only in a dress-casual pair that would work fine with a suede belt in the same color family. My grey and blue suede belts are both pretty dark. I got them both in the Nordstrom anniversary sale about six or seven weeks ago.

Also, I do not own a brown suede belt. I wear brown leather belts with my brown suede shoes. I think leather belts with suede shoes is always fine. Suede belts with leather shoes might not work if the shoes are extremely formal.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    835 Post(s)
    I have matching color leather belts for nearly all my leather shoes (burgundy, black, dark brown, walnut), but don't worry about exact match for my AE bourbon shoes (just use the dark brown) or my suede navy loafers (generally use a brown belt, typically a more casual woven one), or desert boots (beeswax but I use a worn in natural CXL belt that's my go-to casual belt). Suede belts with suede shoes I tried once a couple years back and it felt too matchy for my tastes. YMMV but I don't think it's 'required'.

I agree that a merlot/burg leather belt makes sense for same shoes, as they're typically used in dressier situations. I like the idea of like brown/tan or natural CXL leather with the olive suede, and would suggest a more casual belt like a woven leather belt for such use to match the more casual nature of the suede shoe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    If you want an inexpensive belt to match merlot strands, the burgundy Italian leather from Banana Republic is almost an exact match. During one of their frequent 40% off promos it can be had for around $35. Its a solid strip of leather, made in the US, and has held up remarkably well.

For leathers, I would stick to the same color family but they don't have to be exact matches. A dark brown won't look bad with burgundy but definitely don't wear a black belt with burgundy shoes. I feel like you don't have to be as rigid with suede, especially green suede. A brown or tan would work.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    If you want an inexpensive belt to match merlot strands, the burgundy Italian leather from Banana Republic is almost an exact match. During one of their frequent 40% off promos it can be had for around $35. Its a solid strip of leather, made in the US, and has held up remarkably well.
    I was going to make this exact post, check out the burgundy belt from BR OP

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Time to invest in burg belt.