Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Traveling for a year - most versatile shoes?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Suggest you go with minimally branded all black athletic shoes - Nike Roshe, Asics GT-1000, or equivalent from Adidas. I have a pair of Asics and walked in them a ton in Paris last spring. If you get them in monochrome, they just disappear on your feet. Not expensive, very low key, and easy to replace...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Brown leather Clarks Desert Boots. They can be dressed up with a nice pair of chinos or dressed down with jeans. The are rugged enough for most terrain and have ankle support. They only have two eyelets so you can easily take out the laces to slip them on and off when going through airport security.

I am currently on a study abroad trip in Europe and mine have been perfect. I've also taken them to Florida's beaches, the desert southwest, the sprawling metropolis of New York City and the mountains of North Carolina as welll as just about everywhere else I've been. Mine are currently caked in sand from a little photography adventure on the bank of the Thames but still look awesome. If you are in the market right now I would reccomend either the brown leather Bushacre 2's or the Chilver Hi (which are also nice becasue they have a gore tex lining and are waterproof). The Chilver's have a little more tread so they are probably better suited to rougher terrain but the Bushacres (what I have permanantley glued to my feet 85 percent of the time) are probably more comfy.

The second shoe I would reccomend is the a black leather sneaker like the Cole Haan Grand.0s (which are awesome because they don't weigh anything). Also is super-versatile as a dress shoe, casual walk-arounds or potentially the gym/running.

Third shoe I would take would be Chaco's for hiking, water stuff, the beach, shower shoes and general chilling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by as9934 View Post
    Brown leather Clarks Desert Boots. They can be dressed up with a nice pair of chinos or dressed down with jeans. The are rugged enough for most terrain and have ankle support. They only have two eyelets so you can easily take out the laces to slip them on and off when going through airport security.
    I found my Clarks Desert Boots to be very uncomfortable to walk in all day, so whatever you decide on I would suggest not waiting to the list minute and put some miles on them to make sure they are a good fit for you.

Something like Eccos are pretty comfortable, although I don't find a lot of their styles all that appealing, but it might be worth checking out to see if anything works for you.
    Maybe something like this: http://us.shop.ecco.com/turn-gtx-boo...gid=mens-shoes
    or this:
    http://us.shop.ecco.com/findlay-plai...633624_size=39
    Last edited by Gradstudent78; September 27th, 2017 at 12:56 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    331 Post(s)
    All-purpose travelling footwear? Alden Indy boots. Preferably the Alden Innsbruck w/commando sole. Very comfortable, and pulls double duty as a hiking boot. Brushed off, they're easy to dress up. Last foray over into Asia I brought those and a pair of boat shoes for about a month.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gradstudent78 View Post
    I found my Clarks Desert Boots to be very uncomfortable to walk in all day, so whatever you decide on I would suggest not waiting to the list minute and put some miles on them to make sure they are a good fit for you
    I agree with this. I have a couple of pairs of Clarks and wear them regularly. i definitely do not recommend them for extended walking. They might work for you, but be sure to try them first...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbook View Post
    All-purpose travelling footwear? Alden Indy boots. Preferably the Alden Innsbruck w/commando sole. Very comfortable, and pulls double duty as a hiking boot. Brushed off, they're easy to dress up. Last foray over into Asia I brought those and a pair of boat shoes for about a month.
    I have a couple of pairs of Indy boots. My 405's with Neocork soles are comfy but very heavy and don't have a lot of cushion. I have taken them traveling and I definitely feel the weight after a long day of tramping through a city. I have a pair with commando soles that are a bit lighter, but they still lack cushion. They do look good and are fairly versatile, however...

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motosacto View Post
    Suggest you go with minimally branded all black athletic shoes - Nike Roshe, Asics GT-1000, or equivalent from Adidas. I have a pair of Asics and walked in them a ton in Paris last spring. If you get them in monochrome, they just disappear on your feet. Not expensive, very low key, and easy to replace...
    These. I have my fair share of expensive shoes but when I travel and plan to hike/backpack, it's a pair of Teva sandals for crossing rivers/streams and ventilation, and a pair of comfortable, goes-with-everything, lightweight monochrome athletic shoes. They'll work w/ cropped dress pants and a casual sportcoat/jacket, wide-legged, rolled trousers, shorts, really anything.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosRockets View Post
    These. I have my fair share of expensive shoes but when I travel and plan to hike/backpack, it's a pair of Teva sandals for crossing rivers/streams and ventilation, and a pair of comfortable, goes-with-everything, lightweight monochrome athletic shoes. They'll work w/ cropped dress pants and a casual sportcoat/jacket, wide-legged, rolled trousers, shorts, really anything.
    Agreed. Check out Greats. Their stuff is really... er... great, I guess. Extremely minimalist. Just the right mix of modern and classic.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    As someone who has traveled for a year: LLBean Moccasins: super comfortable, can be worn with shorts or pants, lifetime warranty, easy on/off, and full foot coverage.