Thread: J Crew Ludlow Sale-stravaganza

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

J Crew Ludlow Sale-stravaganza

I jumped on the JCrew Ludlow sale this weekend. I got an even better deal than usual, as I stacked my teacher discount on top of the 50 percent discount. I bought more pairs than I intend to keep, so that I could replace some other shoes in the lineup with upgrades. Total price per pair: ~$125

So, I picked up the
    • Cigar brown longwings (don't have pair of dark brown wings, although I do have a brownish burgundy pair of shoes)
    • Cigar brown blucher cap toes (no brown captoes in my lineup at all)
    • English tan semi-brogue oxfords (love the color; don't quite have anything like these; closest is a pair of tan Cole Haan captoes from DSW a couple of years back. Tight and less versatile color.)
    • Black balmorals (have a pair of Alden black bals that I picked up used from eBay a year or two ago; great shoes but good lord they are tight across the ball of my foot, such that I really can't wear them).
      • I don't really wear black shoes all that often (I just find browns so much more varied, versatile, and interesting). I haven't been to a wedding, funeral, or such that would require black captoes. Even working in politics, I rarely wear black shoes (and I have a pair of black MacAllisters).

I find the JC shoes more comfortable sometimes, especially across the ball of the foot, than other shoes, at least for the named size (an 11D).

Now just trying to decide which 2 or 3 to keep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Have you had any experience with how the Ludlow shoes run compared to other brands? I'm a 8 in many dress shoe brands (Sebago, Johnston and Murphy, Magnanni) but sometimes have to size up to an 8.5 (U.S. sizes) and in most athletic shoes - and I'm talking real athletic shoes for actual running, not stuff like Stan Smiths, Jack Purcells, etc. - I'm usually a 9. Just wondering if I were going to order the Ludlows whether I should go with an 8 or go up to an 8.5. Also do they have removable footbeds? I wear orthotics due to a history of plantar fasciitis. I find that if I can't pull the footbeds out then I have to size up to the point where the shoe is way too long if I want room for my orthotics in them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    Have you had any experience with how the Ludlow shoes run compared to other brands? I'm a 8 in many dress shoe brands (Sebago, Johnston and Murphy, Magnanni) but sometimes have to size up to an 8.5 (U.S. sizes) and in most athletic shoes - and I'm talking real athletic shoes for actual running, not stuff like Stan Smiths, Jack Purcells, etc. - I'm usually a 9. Just wondering if I were going to order the Ludlows whether I should go with an 8 or go up to an 8.5. Also do they have removable footbeds? I wear orthotics due to a history of plantar fasciitis. I find that if I can't pull the footbeds out then I have to size up to the point where the shoe is way too long if I want room for my orthotics in them.
    So Ludlows seem pretty true to size, as far as I can tell. A Brannock device says I am an 11D, and that's what fits in Ludlow for me. Same for AE (with the exceptions I noted previously). In athletic shoes, I'm a full size larger, but I think that's pretty normal.

I wear inserts sometimes (Super Feet Brown), due to what my physician and physical therapists have called "loose ligaments." I.e., the connective tissues in my foot are loose, and so the arches collapse inward; this creates hip problems. So I run into that same issue, where the shoe feels smaller. My solution has been to wear the inserts in the shoes that I can (some AEs, a Suitsupply pair, maybe Ludlows) and not in the skinnier shoes. Not ideal, but it basically works.

Not removable footbeds. So order both sizes and return one (if there's a B&M store, you might be able to return for free there?).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Any reasons besides "every man is supposed to have a pair" to keep a black cap toe balmoral?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by napaxton View Post
    Any reasons besides "every man is supposed to have a pair" to keep a black cap toe balmoral?
    I mean I find Black cap toes a nice change of pace, especially for wearing with a grey suit. Try to wear them ~4 times a month just to keep things interesting. One of my favorite combos is mid-grey trousers/pink or purple OBCD and a blue blazer. Definitely an old stand-by style that goes well with black shoes as it does with brown.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamWithSam View Post
    I mean I find Black cap toes a nice change of pace, especially for wearing with a grey suit. Try to wear them ~4 times a month just to keep things interesting. One of my favorite combos is mid-grey trousers/pink or purple OBCD and a blue blazer. Definitely an old stand-by style that goes well with black shoes as it does with brown.
    Good point.

I should note that if I dress for work, I go with a suit. When I used to be a college professor, I decided that my two uniforms for work were suit or "business mullet" (Coat-tie-dark denim). As a result, I really don't have a stable of trousers options to pair with sportcoats. (And truth be told, I find the idea of trying to coordinate colors and patterns on pants, coat, shirt, and tie to be just more decision-making than I want most mornings.)

So I don't actually own a pair of those gray trousers. Also, lots of folks at work wear that combo, and I like to be a little different.

But it's a good idea, and they definitely fit better than the Alden 907s. (Anyone want a pair of 907s?)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    This shapes up to be a difficult decision. I like all the shoes (this is a normal problem in my life). I'm thinking I may return the brown captoes. Or break my brain and bank and keep all four.

Le sigh.