Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medium Tall

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)

Medium Tall

I am 6'4" and slightly on the thinner side of athletic build. I am constantly searching for brands that sell medium tall shirts. Most brands that make talls start at large.

I currently buy most of my casual shirts from BR since they make slimmer fitting MTs, such as their grant fit and their slim fit polos. Their sizing is very inconsistent, though, and I have purchased some MTs that seem to go to my knees and some that land at the top of my belt. With free returns and b&m stores nearby, I just return them when they fit weird.

J Crew only does regular fit MT, so other than their jackets, I tend not to buy from them. I find their regular fit shirts too baggy.

Bonobos dips into the talls every now and then, but their talls seem to be made for folks in the 6'8" range, while their regulars are made for folks in the 5'8" range. It's weird, because their regular dress shirts fit perfectly.

Lands End does MT, but their clothes tend to be too baggy on me. Eddie Bauer does as well, and I intend to check out their flannels this fall. I purchased a MT down jacket from EB last year, and it fits perfectly.

Any other brands that you guys know of that make medium tall casual shirts, preferably slimmer fitting ones?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    I'm in the same boat. You named the usual suspects.

Old Navy has some decent stuff sometimes for MT.

JC and JCF sometimes have MT slims depending on what they decide to make for the season. JCF had their linen shirts in MT slim this summer, Kind of wish I picked up extras, they fit me nice.

CT has decent options in neck/sleeve measured items. 15.5/37 slim or extra slim. Some of my CT shirts have shrunk quite a bit though, I don't think I'll buy anymore from them.

Amazon's good threads line has 15.5/37s too, with sleeves running longer than CTs. They're my new favorite so far. Pretty limited choices though.

MTM is my next venture.

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2039 Post(s)
    I would think it would probably be worth your money to invest in a handful of MTM shirts that fit really well, and then get used to taking care of them so they last. (Wash on cold/delicate, hang dry.)

Alternatively it should cost about $15/ea to tailor something from Lands' End or whoever that might be a bit loose in the body but otherwise fits ok.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I would think it would probably be worth your money to invest in a handful of MTM shirts that fit really well, and then get used to taking care of them so they last. (Wash on cold/delicate, hang dry.)

Alternatively it should cost about $15/ea to tailor something from Lands' End or whoever that might be a bit loose in the body but otherwise fits ok.
    I agree with the above. I went through a lot trying to find something perfect. I'm 6'4" and athletic build. For tee's, sweaters and henleys I deal with OTR stuff, L slim from Jcrew is my current go-to. For button downs find something that fits in the neck and sleeve and take the sides in. I learned how to do this and it makes everything much easier, but it's a pretty cheap alteration at the tailor. I also have some MTM shirts from S&M, they are great.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    I agree with @Creature. Tailoring your own clothes can be worthwhile.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    I have a bunch of casual OCBDs and poplin shirts from American Eagle in medium tall. No eagle logos anywhere. I would say the quality is comparable to JCF. I got all of them from clearance for less than $15 each.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    I agree with the above. I went through a lot trying to find something perfect. I'm 6'4" and athletic build. For tee's, sweaters and henleys I deal with OTR stuff, L slim from Jcrew is my current go-to. For button downs find something that fits in the neck and sleeve and take the sides in. I learned how to do this and it makes everything much easier, but it's a pretty cheap alteration at the tailor. I also have some MTM shirts from S&M, they are great.
    I was thinking more of the t shirt, henleys, polos area, and a little bit in the casual, untucked button up department. As far as dress shirts that will be tucked in, I am fine in that department; I have been successful with Bonobos and BR, and I've gotten a few more expensive ones from random places tailored to fit perfectly.

I wish BR would make their slim fit polos in more colors. The navy slim fit luxe polo I bought a few months back has become my favorite shirt. I have it in white and maroon, as well. I wish they made a true red one -- I am a UGA grad, and it's football season, so I need to rep my dawgs.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    I was thinking more of the t shirt, henleys, polos area, and a little bit in the casual, untucked button up department. As far as dress shirts that will be tucked in, I am fine in that department; I have been successful with Bonobos and BR, and I've gotten a few more expensive ones from random places tailored to fit perfectly.

I wish BR would make their slim fit polos in more colors. The navy slim fit luxe polo I bought a few months back has become my favorite shirt. I have it in white and maroon, as well. I wish they made a true red one -- I am a UGA grad, and it's football season, so I need to rep my dawgs.
    Might be worth trying ASOS Tall stuff.

http://us.asos.com/men/tall/cat/?cid=20753

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emynd View Post
    Might be worth trying ASOS Tall stuff.

http://us.asos.com/men/tall/cat/?cid=20753
    Just purchased a medium tall slim fit polo from there. Eager to see how it works. Thanks for the recommendation.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Just purchased a medium tall slim fit polo from there. Eager to see how it works. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Nice let me know how it works out.

BTW, don't know if you saw this or need any Medium-Tall henleys, but these are only $20 a pop right now minus 30% if you buy three or more.

https://www.jcrew.com/p/F7053