Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turtleneck and blazer?

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1363 Post(s)

Turtleneck and blazer?

What's the thinking on going with a turtleneck and blazer? Not in an office environment (even for casual Fridays) but say heading out to the pub for pint. Or taking the missus out for dinner?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)
    Definitely not to your pub for a pint. I think a thick Henley and tweed jacket would be best for that. For whatever reason the turtleneck and sport coat look always seemed douchey to me... Unless you're Sterling Archer and it's a tactilneck. *Edit* pay maybe douchey isn't the right word... More like stuffy...?Maybe go with a shawl collar sweater and Blazer/sport coat instead? Or a button/zip up mock neck?
    Last edited by Nandyn; September 15th, 2017 at 09:26 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    311 Post(s)
    My favorite. I like the look and nobody else rocks the combo. I don't get to wear the combo a lot in Southern California, though. I wear it based on the weather, in general, not where I go.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    It's only douchey if the guy is a douche. It's been done well:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-11FwP7xfHU...nd+white+2.jpg
    https://i.pinimg.com/736x/2c/bc/62/2...2d1cf4770f.jpg

As for appropriateness, like every other outfit you wear, dress it for the situation.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    What's the thinking on going with a turtleneck and blazer? Not in an office environment (even for casual Fridays) but say heading out to the pub for pint. Or taking the missus out for dinner?

The first and last look very very good. The second is bit over the top.

In general, I think this is a good fall/winter casual look, especially if you're willing to take off the jacket if indoors and it's warmer - that is, you're not doing it as a costume but simply was a nice warm flexible set of clothes.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1028 Post(s)
    I like the look though don't wear it personally. I have an uncle that used to wear it a lot and it was always sharp looking.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    I wear the look all the time. It's very comfortable and functional as well as elegant. I think it looks better, or at least more contemporary, with denim and boots, like the first pic.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)
    I think it's just too stuffy for me. I always felt constricted whenever I tried to wear a ��(turtle imoji) neck, even if it wasn't actually too tight. I also almost never wear ties so that's also probably why since I'm not used to having something snug around my neck all the time.
    Last edited by Nandyn; September 15th, 2017 at 10:36 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    If you can pull off the look and it's appropriate for the climate, I say go for it. Your perceived persona will determine whether you look douchey or not. For instance, I think most of the guys in the photos presented in this thread look stuffy sporting the look, but that's because they are models and are supposed to look overly confident and even narcissistic. I imagine most people will look just fine utilizing this combo, while those men that people already consider d-bags will still be thought of as such no matter what they're wearing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I like the look. You don't have to pout like the models. That's why it looks douchey!