Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wedding suit - Custom in NYC vs. Alteration

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    317 Post(s)
    I just placed an order with Black Lapel last week. Got measured in person in NYC a few weeks back, and sprang for a full 3-piece. Was more than suitsupply, but all the glowing praise, coupled with the in-person measurement experience (i was already in town, so hopping over to the shop wasn't a massive deal, and I trust them to do it themselves way more than I trust myself to get it right) made me realize it was worth it. I've had great experiences with Suitsupply as well, don't get me wrong. But if you have the time available, I can't recommend strongly enough hitting both and getting a feel for what they offer. Black Lapel isn't true custom; it's MTM, but it also can be had for well under $1k which isn't even toes in the water for a true bespoke suit.

I'd say hit Suitsupply (I've been to the Madison Ave location and they were GREAT) first and if you can't find what you're looking for there, head to Black Lapel (10 E. 38th, 3rd floor) and they'll take care of you.

For what it's worth, Suitsupply *DOES* tend to lean on the more "current/trendy" side when it comes to pants, so they *ARE* a slim fit. No getting around it, but they can let them out some. I haven't had issues yet, but as my weight increases at the squat rack, I can only imagine I'll be putting some things up on ebay at some point. Hopefully I can keep things for another year just to keep the wife a little more sane

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Black Lapel does require appointments, so you cannot just pop in as an fyi.
    Last edited by paintflinger; September 18th, 2017 at 05:43 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    317 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paintflinger View Post
    Black Lapel does require appoints, so you cannot just pop in as an fyi.
    True but one can often schedule same or next day so it's not a huge inconvenience to someone already in the city.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post

For what it's worth, Suitsupply *DOES* tend to lean on the more "current/trendy" side when it comes to pants, so they *ARE* a slim fit. No getting around it, but they can let them out some. I haven't had issues yet, but as my weight increases at the squat rack, I can only imagine I'll be putting some things up on ebay at some point. Hopefully I can keep things for another year just to keep the wife a little more sane
    I don't skip leg day, but I'm genetically smaller and have basically no arse. Off the rack, the Lazio trousers fit great in the thighs, but were extra roomy in the seat. I've now been to pick up my Suitsupply suit three times in an attempt to get the pants right, and they're still off.

Today they were actually pinned up by the tailor, not the sales people, and I would STRONGLY encourage you to go that route if you're using their in house tailoring. My fingers are crossed that this fourth attempt will result in properly fitted trousers. To their credit, they did refund the cost of the tailoring today, but man, am I tired of driving to that store at this point.
    Donít call what your wearing an outfit. Donít ever say your car is broke.
    Donít sing with a fake British accent. Donít act like your familyís a joke.
    --Jason Isbell