Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for jeans/trousers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Recommendations for jeans/trousers?

I'm a middle-aged guy (40) who is feeling like i'm in a bit of a funk style-wise. I was always a pretty good dresser, but as I've eased into middle age, I've become a bit lazy when it comes to style. I work in the creative field so I'm pretty free to wear whatever I want, but most days I just go with an old pair of Levi 527s, a button-down, and either desert boots or chelsea boots.

I'm around 6'2 and 190 pounds, 33-34 waist, 33-34 inseam. I'm thinking it's time to trade in the 527s for something a little more tapered. I'm in OK shape but a little soft around the edges, just enough that I always feel self-conscious in quasi-skinny jeans or trousers. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for nice jeans or trousers that will look up-to-date without making me feel like i'm trying to stuff 10 pounds of potatoes into a 5-pound bag? Particularly interested in a nice pair of go-to jeans that look up to date buy not too skinny.

To give more insight into what kind of style I gravitate toward, I'm a fan of the plain black T and jeans look with some kind of interesting piece to set it off (unique jacket, boots/shoes, etc.). I also don't mind a blazer or sports jacket from time to time either. If I had to visualize my ideal style it would fall somewhere on this spectrum:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I'm 43, 6'1 180 with a 31 waist. I really like DSTLD jeans, slim and/or straight. The run pretty true to size. Dark denim works with just about anything for me. I've tried 7FAM, Joes, and BR, but always end up putting on my DSTLD jeans in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Autiger367 View Post
    I'm 43, 6'1 180 with a 31 waist. I really like DSTLD jeans, slim and/or straight. The run pretty true to size. Dark denim works with just about anything for me. I've tried 7FAM, Joes, and BR, but always end up putting on my DSTLD jeans in the end.
    Thank you for for the recommendation. I'm not familiar with DSTLD but I really like the look of those. I seem to be in between sizes (33-34 for both waist and inseam). I looked up some reviews and a few people thought they might run just a little long. Do you find that to be the case? I really like some of the washes, especially in the slim cut. Would you say there's much of a difference between the slim and straight?
    Last edited by CT356; September 13th, 2017 at 09:39 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Have to second DSTLD as well. They are longer than advertised but it's because they are meant to be cuffed. However I usually just have them hemmed to the proper length.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lemus View Post
    Have to second DSTLD as well. They are longer than advertised but it's because they are meant to be cuffed. However I usually just have them hemmed to the proper length.
    Thanks so much. I think I'll give these a try. I usually hem my jeans as well. Do you think it's safe to go down an inseam size in DSTLDs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    511 Levi's if your butt isn't too big. It's slim and not skinny. I'm 42 and these jeans have a classic look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I have a pair of DSTLD jeans 34 inseam, and that is spot on. Good fit too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    246 Post(s)
    I'm in my 40s as well. A bit expensive, but my current go-to are the Drake's Model No. 3. They look great with an odd jacket.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    Levi's 513. They have stretch built in, won't break the bank (especially when on sale) and have some taper at the calve that isn't too aggressive. They are called the "Slim straight" cut. Otherwise I like GAP jeans - they offer a bunch of different cuts and styles - and also the Banana Republic stretch Rapid Movement jeans (expensive but super comfortable). Your best bet is to set a budget and go try on a bunch of jeans. Go with what's comfortable and looks best.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    As someone with a squat booty, my favorite denim is levis 502. Haven't found anything else that fits quite as well - room in the top block like a 501 so I can actually put them on, but with a taper. The taper isn't as ridiculous as their athletic cut, which I didn't enjoy. Lucky brand gets written off a lot but their jeans are incredibly comfortable and fit me well. Only downside is the stretch requires you to occasionally throw them in the dryer to "pull" them back in.

I usually wear the 502s to work, because they look great with a tucked in shirt, and the lucky denim on the weekend with untucked shirts and henleys. I've gotten compliments on both.