Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to wear with a dive watch?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

What to wear with a dive watch?

After fancying one for a long time I finally pulled the trigger on my first dive watch (Orient Ray II). After hitting the "buy" button I had this sudden jolt of fear: WTF to I wear with a dive watch? Does it go with a standard Oxford, jeans, brogues/boots? Jeans and a t-shirt? Shirt and blazer? Or do I need to start walking around in scuba gear?

What do you wear with your dive watches, fellas? And how much should I be attempting to channel Bond here?

Cheers!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)
    The great thing about a good dive watch is it's versatility. I by far wear my dive watch more than any of my other watches. I wear it with everything from shorts and a t shirt to jeans and a polo to chinos and a sportcoat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Everything below a suit in formality.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    760 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    Everything below a suit in formality.
    Bond wore one with a tux.

But seriosly, the Ray will go with a ton. If I were to be a one watch guy it would be something like a Ray. I have several dive watches and wear them with jeans and a henley, OCBD and chinos, or a tank top and bathing suit. Lets put it this way, I have about 20 watches. 12 are dive watches. I would even wear a ray with a suit if it was my only watch and not worry about it.

and if you woudl allow me to spend a few more of yoru dollars, get one of these bracelets. Way better than the hollow thing that comes with it.

https://www.strapcode.com/store/22mm...l#.WadQOYjyuUk

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)
    Dry/Wetsuit, flippers, SCUBA. Anything!

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    842 Post(s)
    You'll get some watch traditionalists that say you shouldn't wear a dive watch with dress clothes. I'd venture to say I'd never wear it with my tux (technically you shouldn't wear a watch ever with a tux, if you're really pure traditionalist). While I generally lean toward traditionalist, I wear my dive watch with nearly everything--except my tux. I'm in the market for a dress watch that will take over a lot of dressier duties, but that's personal preference for me. 99.99% of people in the real world won't ever think twice about you wearing your dive watch with anything. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy!
    Last edited by hornsup84; August 31st, 2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    Bond wore one with a tux.

But seriosly, the Ray will go with a ton. If I were to be a one watch guy it would be something like a Ray. I have several dive watches and wear them with jeans and a henley, OCBD and chinos, or a tank top and bathing suit. Lets put it this way, I have about 20 watches. 12 are dive watches. I would even wear a ray with a suit if it was my only watch and not worry about it.

and if you woudl allow me to spend a few more of yoru dollars, get one of these bracelets. Way better than the hollow thing that comes with it.

https://www.strapcode.com/store/22mm...l#.WadQOYjyuUk
    Are you a secret agent who might need to dive into the water while wearing your tux? Then by all means wear a dive watch with it. The norm for tuxes is no watch at all. There are also a lot of people who wear their Rolex sub with their suit at work so they can show it off, but it's not really suit appropriate.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    760 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    Are you a secret agent who might need to dive into the water while wearing your tux? Then by all means wear a dive watch with it. The norm for tuxes is no watch at all. There are also a lot of people who wear their Rolex sub with their suit at work so they can show it off, but it's not really suit appropriate.
    I guess you missed the "but seriously"

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Don't feel like you're stuck with the bracelet. NATO straps are a really great way to take of some of that "shine" and make it more dressed down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotsmanInBrooklyn View Post
    After fancying one for a long time I finally pulled the trigger on my first dive watch (Orient Ray II). After hitting the "buy" button I had this sudden jolt of fear: WTF to I wear with a dive watch? Does it go with a standard Oxford, jeans, brogues/boots? Jeans and a t-shirt? Shirt and blazer? Or do I need to start walking around in scuba gear?

What do you wear with your dive watches, fellas? And how much should I be attempting to channel Bond here?

Cheers!
    I wear my dive watches with pretty much everything so go nuts!