Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your wedding ring look like

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Subscribing for curiosity - don't have one myself yet, but in the market soon enough...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

Stock photo since I'm at work, but this is nearly my exact ring (or actually might be). Classic with some interesting detail. Brushed center, beveled and polished edge with two small lines running down it where the brush meets the polished spot. 14K white gold. between 6-8mm... I forget already.

Then I have this one for travel and working out or working around the house (silicon):

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_s View Post

Stock photo since I'm at work, but this is nearly my exact ring (or actually might be). Classic with some interesting detail. Brushed center, beveled and polished edge with two small lines running down it where the brush meets the polished spot. 14K white gold. between 6-8mm... I forget already.

Then I have this one for travel and working out or working around the house (silicon):

My actual ring is very plain brushed cobalt chromium. I like it alright, but after wearing it for awhile it's a little clunkier than ideal. I pretty much wear a silicon band (ROQ) all the time now, usually a black one. I feel kind of bad about it, but my wife says she doesn't mind.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Wedd.../dp/B01CG1G018

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1466 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I'd be curious the average age of individuals as I think certain designs and materials depend on the age (or when they got them). I'll be married for 7 years come this October and am currently 33.
    I'm in my mid 40ies. First marriage. And haven't been married all that long. I decided to go with a white gold/simple band (or as the jeweler called it - a Grandpa band) because I wanted something that would be timeless for me. Sure I like fancy shoes and stuff now, but will I five years from now? I was worried that if I had a lot of design on my ring now, that later on my tastes would change. So by going with a simple, white gold band, I knew it would be timeless.

As for the colour, I've always liked the look of white gold. So for me, that was an easy decision to make.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    This picture is pretty similar to my ring. It's a copper, white gold or silver (can't tell), yellow gold mokume gane that's been etched and inlaid into a yellow gold band. I think it's a George Sawyer ring. Wife and I found it on consignment in a local jewelry store when we were ring shopping and I loved it at first sight. My dad has a ring with a wheat shaft motif and he's an agriculture guy. I'm a geologist so I wanted to find something in that theme. The layers look like sedimentary strata to me.

Edit to say I'm 34, married 8 years

Last edited by thedrake; August 28th, 2017 at 04:13 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Tungsten ring by Benchmark. Maybe 6mm?

I'd be curious the average age of individuals as I think certain designs and materials depend on the age (or when they got them). I'll be married for 7 years come this October and am currently 33.
    35, married 8 years.

I also avoided all the trendy metals just incase I ever had an injury and wanted them to be able to easily cut the ring off. They had to do that for my dad and I'll never forgot the DR telling us he wouldve lost his finger if they couldnt cut his gold band off.
    I don't know about titanium, but tungsten and ceramic are both easy to remove because they're brittle. Actually cutting tungsten would be really difficult, but you can crush it with a vice with little effort. Of course, I still take mine off if I'm working out or building anything or generally doing anything that has increased risk of finger injury. That doesn't eliminate the risk but reduces it.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Very interesting to see such a variety in wedding bands. A few follow ups:

(1) @greg_s mentioned that he uses a silicon for working out, chores and traveling -- does anyone else do this (i.e., have a 2nd ring for certain things) or know of others that do this?

(2) Did you take into account what color(s) your SO's engagement ring and/or wedding band is as well?

I'm leaning toward traditional gold varieties (yellow, rose or white), probably pretty standard shapes and minimal designs, but am still debating all of it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    I have a $60 Etsy ring. My wife bristled when I suggested we order three just in case because it was so cheap. It's titanium with two stainless bands running through. I love how light it is compared to tungsten or other popular materials and has proven to be pretty resilient 8 years in (I'm 37). I hardly notice it and I never take it off. My wife's ring looks nothing like mine, not should it given how exponentially more expensive it was I also don't know anyone close to my age that has the traditional good ring like my parents.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Doug Chalkey; August 28th, 2017 at 04:41 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    497 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    I don't know about titanium, but tungsten and ceramic are both easy to remove because they're brittle. Actually cutting tungsten would be really difficult, but you can crush it with a vice with little effort. Of course, I still take mine off if I'm working out or building anything or generally doing anything that has increased risk of finger injury. That doesn't eliminate the risk but reduces it.
    Yes, I was worried though it would happen somewhere they wouldn't have the vice. Just didn't seem worth the risk to me but that is a personal decision (and my propensity for injuries ).

@hornsup84 our rings match in color but she went platinum. We did take it into account because we wanted them to be similar but not matching. She did match her band to her engagement ring though. My only recommendation would be to try them on. I get we are in an online world but it's so different to see a decision online versus trying them on to include different thicknesses, the comfort bands, colors etc.

I've thought about a second band (one of the silicon ones) but at this point in time I don't see the need. I know I'm married. My wife knows I'm married. When I take off my ring to go to the gym or play hockey it doesn't really change anything. Often like wearing a watch it feels weird when I don't wear one for a few hours.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)

I avoided yellow gold because that's what my parents have and it seemed outdated. I wanted a tattoo with the date since I don't wear my ring when I lift or play hockey. The wife vetoed that one. I also avoided all the trendy metals just incase I ever had an injury and wanted them to be able to easily cut the ring off. They had to do that for my dad and I'll never forgot the DR telling us he wouldve lost his finger if they couldnt cut his gold band off.
    I am 31, married 3 years now. I initially bought my wife's engagement ring in white gold and my SIL told me my wife wanted yellow gold so I had the setting remade for yellow. We both have basic yellow gold wedding bands. Though when buying the bands, somehow I got 18kt and my wife 14kt which matches her engagement ring. The metal is noticeably softer and I have bent my wedding band playing with it. I lost weight so my band easily slides on and off.

I have this picture in my mind of my late grandfathers hands that I see when I look at my hands. He always had yellow gold and I wanted the same.

Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Very interesting to see such a variety in wedding bands. A few follow ups:

(1) @greg_s mentioned that he uses a silicon for working out, chores and traveling -- does anyone else do this (i.e., have a 2nd ring for certain things) or know of others that do this?

(2) Did you take into account what color(s) your SO's engagement ring and/or wedding band is as well?

I'm leaning toward traditional gold varieties (yellow, rose or white), probably pretty standard shapes and minimal designs, but am still debating all of it.
    My wife and I have matching metals. We do not have separate bands for anything special. My MIL had a fake engagement ring made for traveling but stopped wearing it at some point.