Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Goodfellow & Co

Was walking through Target last night and saw they had some Goodfellow & Co items out. I walked out with a hoodie ($15) and tan canvas shirt jacket ($34).

They also had an assortment of flannels and nicely designed work shirts for $24 (both 100% cotton). Plus what were clearly meant to be knockoffs of the Patagonia Snap T that were 100% polyester.

Anyway, the stuff (other than the fleece) really didn't feel cheap to me. Obviously it also didn't feel amazing, but I've been encouraged by what I've seen so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    FWIW Patagonia fleece is also 100% polyester.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrikelnel View Post
    fleece in general is 100% polyester, isnt it?

According to Wikipedia:
    Polar fleece is a soft napped insulating fabric made from a type of polyester called polyethylene terephthalate (PET) or other synthetic fibers. Other names for this fabric are "Polar Wool", "Vega Wool", or "Velo Wools". Despite names suggesting the product is made of natural material, polar fleece is 100% polyethylene terephthalate.

Polar fleece originated in Massachusetts in 1979 when Malden Mills, (now Polartec LLC), and Patagonia developed Synchilla (synthetic chinchilla).[2] It was a new, light, strong pile fabric meant to mimic—and in some ways surpass—wool.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrikelnel View Post
    I know that. I should have been more clear that I wasn't bringing in up out of surprise or disgust, just as a matter of fact. Among the items I touched, however, it felt by far the lowest in quality.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    I was at Target over the weekend and found a Goodfellow OCBD mixed in with the clearance Merona stuff. Quality seemed okay. Not great, but not terrible. The cloth was a decent, mid-weight oxford cloth. It wasn't the softest but it wasn't scratchy. Stitching was so-so and the buttons were plastic. Basically what you would expect out of a $25 shirt.

It was the standard fit in my size so I tried it on. Sizing in the chest felt similar to JCF slim but had a lot more room through the body. There wasn't much tapper to the body so there was far too much extra fabric for me. The sleeves, however, were much slimmer than a JCF slim. JCF uses a pleat at the cuff whereas the Goodfellow shirt doesn't. The sleeves weren't overly tight but made it more difficult to roll up.

Two things that bothered me were the placement of the chest pocket and the collar. The chest pocket was large and oddly placed off to the side of the shirt. When I had my arms by my side the edge of the pocket was covered by my arm. The collar was on the smaller side and had a stiff fusing that made it stand awkwardly high on my neck. It might soften up after a wash but I can't be certain.

Overall it was a decent shirt for the price but I wasn't happy with the fit so I didn't end up buying. I'd like to try the slim cut when it becomes available. If its has a similar chest measurement and more tapered body it could be a solid cheap shirt.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1076 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    I was at Target over the weekend and found a Goodfellow OCBD mixed in with the clearance Merona stuff. Quality seemed okay. Not great, but not terrible. The cloth was a decent, mid-weight oxford cloth. It wasn't the softest but it wasn't scratchy. Stitching was so-so and the buttons were plastic. Basically what you would expect out of a $25 shirt.

It was the standard fit in my size so I tried it on. Sizing in the chest felt similar to JCF slim but had a lot more room through the body. There wasn't much tapper to the body so there was far too much extra fabric for me. The sleeves, however, were much slimmer than a JCF slim. JCF uses a pleat at the cuff whereas the Goodfellow shirt doesn't. The sleeves weren't overly tight but made it more difficult to roll up.

Two things that bothered me were the placement of the chest pocket and the collar. The chest pocket was large and oddly placed off to the side of the shirt. When I had my arms by my side the edge of the pocket was covered by my arm. The collar was on the smaller side and had a stiff fusing that made it stand awkwardly high on my neck. It might soften up after a wash but I can't be certain.

Overall it was a decent shirt for the price but I wasn't happy with the fit so I didn't end up buying. I'd like to try the slim cut when it becomes available. If its has a similar chest measurement and more tapered body it could be a solid cheap shirt.
    Some Oxford Cloth takes a few washes before it becomes soft. I guess that is a risk with trying one of these shirts out. I know my Spier & Mackay brushed oxfords took a few washes before they were softer to the touch.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Some Oxford Cloth takes a few washes before it becomes soft. I guess that is a risk with trying one of these shirts out. I know my Spier & Mackay brushed oxfords took a few washes before they were softer to the touch.
    Good point. I'm more concerned about the collar which is the result of stiff fuse interlining. I don't think that will soften up much.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Has anyone seen any of their chinos in person yet? My stores just have signs that advertise Goodfellow as "coming soon."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    My local store had some of the stuff out tonight. It all looked decent. Nothing stuck out other than the henleys, they seemed a little better made and substantial. Tried on my size and the fit was strange, no taper in the waist and really loose in the forearms and wrists. Disappointing. No chinos, just sweats and cargo pants. Hopefully they'll have some better stuff out in the coming weeks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)
    Picked up a henley, I'd say it's a winner. Soft fabric, decent fit, and $15. It's literally 1/4 what JCrew charges, and while I like JCrew, a t shirt is not worth $60. The OCBD I saw looked like it might not be as great a value, but I'm willing to give one a shot down the road. The chinos seemed promising, but I didn't stay long to try stuff on. I think the line will be an overall positive for Target and guys that don't want to overspend on decent basics.