Quote Originally Posted by misterm View Post
One thing that bothers me about the Kiwi polish is it has a real strong smell. I used it once or twice and it gave me a headache. Is this typical with most brands?
That strong smell is the volatile petroleum distillate solvents, which are the primary reason why Kiwi is known for drying out the leather.

Specifically it contains naphtha and benzene.

The solvents are necessary for quickly achieving a hard shine. Creams usually substitute low-weight mineral oil as a solvent in place of naphtha or turpentine. It doesn't evaporate easily, so it doesn't harden into the same shiny coat (high molecular weight or thick mineral oil, aka Vaseline, is used in skin moisturizers).