Thread: Flannel Trouser Recommendations?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Flannel Trouser Recommendations?

Hey all,

I'm looking for a pair of flannel trousers for the fall season. Ideally I'm shooting for a light to mid-grey but would be open to the right shade of brown or blue. If anyone has recommendations (or ones to keep away from) I'd love to hear about 'em.

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    735 Post(s)
    What's your price range? Lands End has some decent ones that you can snag for <$50 if you wait. I have some old BR ones but they are the old Tailored Slim which doesn't exist anymore. Once you get into the $100's, Spier & Mackay have some old stock from last year, though mid-gray sold out quickly. J. Crew has some.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    309 Post(s)
    $50-60 (on sale) Lands end flannel is ok but chances are will need serious tailoring.

$80 Spier and Mackay on sale (check now). Alert: you are on the hook for returns.

$120-140 eHaberdasher's own lines are very nice. Also check out Brooks Brothers on sale.

$160-195 Howard Yount but service is sketchy. I sent them an email about two weeks ago and haven't heard back.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    179 Post(s)
    @JamWithSam - Any place that sells flannel suit separates is also worth considering. J. Crew has some grey Crosby flannel suit pants on final sale today for about $90. I paid more for mine. I also ended up buying the dark green and navy colors when those were on sale over the summer. The fabric is great (VBC wool). They are so comfortable. They feel like you are wearing pajamas. The construction is about what you would expect for J. Crew. The zipper is a little skimpy.

I probably would have bought flannel trousers from Spier and Mackay, which look to be better made, but the Crosby pants are a near perfect fit. Alterations for Spier and Mackay trousers would make that option more expensive for me. Our winters are pretty mild here. So, the season for wearing flannel trousers isn't very long. I figured it is ok to go with the lowest cost option. I expect the trousers to last a long time.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    No mention of suitsupply yet? Their wool trousers (including flannel) are fantastic. I have Howard Yount as only slightly better, so once you throw in free shipping/returns and customer service response time, SS wins by a mile.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    No mention of suitsupply yet? Their wool trousers (including flannel) are fantastic. I have Howard Yount as only slightly better, so once you throw in free shipping/returns and customer service response time, SS wins by a mile.
    Thanks for all the great suggestions, everybody! I actually found an almost brand new pair of great SuSu flannel trousers (with the side-tabs!) for about 60% on eBay, so jumped on that. They look great, even with the cuff (kind of like it on them, tbh). Just need to get them taken out a tad.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    for anyone else reading / general comment.

i highly recommend ensuring whatever flannel trouser you get is 100% wool, or extremely close. there are a lot of poly/wood combo fabrics out there, and they're cheap, but they're itchy, at least to me. Wool is an incredible fabric, probably the best fabric. It breathes, retains color, maintains shape (it "recovers" after you wear it if you give it a day of rest), it looks and feels great to most people, flows well, and therefore, in my opinion, is worth the extra $$$.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DandyLion View Post
    for anyone else reading / general comment.

i highly recommend ensuring whatever flannel trouser you get is 100% wool, or extremely close. there are a lot of poly/wood combo fabrics out there, and they're cheap, but they're itchy, at least to me. Wool is an incredible fabric, probably the best fabric. It breathes, retains color, maintains shape (it "recovers" after you wear it if you give it a day of rest), it looks and feels great to most people, flows well, and therefore, in my opinion, is worth the extra $$$.
    Like anything else, the quality of the fabric is as important as the fiber content. There is cheap shitty wool/poly and there is high-end wool/poly. The two don't feel anywhere near the same. I have a pair of Zanella 92/8 wool/poly pants made with a high-twist fabric that are the best feeling, coolest wool pants I own. There are high-quality high-tech 100% poly fabrics in sportswear that outperform and feel better than natural fibers in those specific use cases. As long as you're buying from a quality maker, you should be OK.