Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather jackets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Leather jackets

I'm in the market for a new leather jacket. What stores do people recommend?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Margiela*, Real McCoys, LVC, Schott, Thedi, Aero, Vanson, Valstar, Todd Snyder, Golden Bear, Ralph Lauren Purple Label,
    *about the only streetwear-esque brand I know well enough to recommend - Rick Owens and others also make great jackets but I don't know enough and most people here don't get the style so no point in going on

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    If you want to rock the dadcore bomber, LL Bean's Flying Tiger's a pretty nice coat for the money.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Quoted
    386 Post(s)
    Can't go wrong with Schott. Lucky Brand has sales on their Schott jackets every once in a while, you can probably pick one up for roughly $400. If you're looking to spend more than $500 then you have a lot of options.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Ebay...to buy one of the jackets mentioned above. I got a vintage Schott flight jacket for something like $100 (maybe $150?), and it's great. If well looked-after, I think old leather jackets look better than new ones.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    What style do you want?

Rocker motorcycle? Schott perfecto.

WWII Army Air Corps? Get a made-to-mil-spec A-2 (lots of companies make them...)

Belted old-school motorcycle jacket? Belstaff.

Banded collar moto style? Lots of companies make them. Golden Bear is a good brand.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1487 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTH View Post
    Ebay...to buy one of the jackets mentioned above. I got a vintage Schott flight jacket for something like $100 (maybe $150?), and it's great. If well looked-after, I think old leather jackets look better than new ones.
    +1 to this. I keep wanting to pick up a used motorcycle/Schott jacket but can never seem to quite to do. My concern with getting the jacket off Ebay is the sizing. If you know your size in a leather jacket, then go for it. But the few times I've gone in to stores and looked at new leather jackets, the sizing has been all over the map for me. If I could nail that down, then that would put my one step closer to getting the jacket.

Then of course my concern would be that I'm wearing a motorcycle jacket and not riding a motorbike.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Then of course my concern would be that I'm wearing a motorcycle jacket and not riding a motorbike.
    Any more, I think that the Schott Perfecto is more associated with rockers (and punks like The Ramones) than actual motorcycling. Seems like Harley riders are tending towards Harley Davidson branded stuff. If you were wearing one of those, or say, a Dainese or Joe Rocket jacket, without riding a motorcycle, now that would be silly...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Any more, I think that the Schott Perfecto is more associated with rockers (and punks like The Ramones) than actual motorcycling. Seems like Harley riders are tending towards Harley Davidson branded stuff. If you were wearing one of those, or say, a Dainese or Joe Rocket jacket, without riding a motorcycle, now that would be silly. The Triumph branded jacket I used to wear when riding, you guessed it, my Triumph, had a lot of features like zippered mesh-backed vents and hard armour inserts and such that made it a pretty bad jacket off the bike. In that way, a Perfecto or an A-2 makes a much better around-town item...