Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FYI--Allen Edmonds 20% off clearance

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srlclark View Post
    Walnut is awesome, and the typical menswear criticisms of it are misplaced.
    Completely agree. I think it's especially underrated in terms of versatility. And you're absolutely right that it's a perfect wedge for getting more light colors into your wardrobe. Nothing depresses me more than a black or navy suit.

(And what today looks like -- literally walking the walk: http://imgur.com/a/GAbIE)
    Last edited by Hierophant; August 18th, 2017 at 04:35 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quoted
    498 Post(s)
    Nice! Are they the Mora? My only walnuts are the Strand, but my next AE will likely be a walnut Cornwallis. Unless I cave this week and get a walnut Warwick or Leiden.

I am also not a fan of navy suits, especially not the dark kind that veers towards midnight. My favorite suits are mid or light grey - some shades of mid blue, mid brown, and green/olive are also very nice - but so far as dark suits are concerned, I prefer charcoal. I also think that dark brown suits should replace navy as the other formal suit color. The "country" association makes no sense given that we're not British aristocrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    Completely agree. I think it's especially underrated in terms of versatility. And you're absolutely right that it's a perfect wedge for getting more light colors into your wardrobe. Nothing depresses me more than a black or navy suit.

(And what today looks like -- literally walking the walk: http://imgur.com/a/GAbIE)

Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    801 Post(s)
    Nice! Walnut is awesome, and the typical menswear criticisms of it are misplaced. Instead of replacing walnut with a darker shoe, add a light suit or light pair of wool pants to your rotation. I'm glad AE treats walnut as one of their major colors - I think it's offered on more styles than any color other than black.
    My walnut Strands just arrived from Nordys and they are darker than both of my other pairs of AE walnut shoes. Am I disappointed though? Nope. Not at all. The darker shade goes well. In the past I've found that some of the walnut shoes in my collection are a little light at times for what I want to wear. These new ones seem to strike a perfect balance.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post

Whoa I wear that same combo but with the darker brown Mora. Definitely my favorite suit color for summer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    Nice! Are they the Mora? My only walnuts are the Strand, but my next AE will likely be a walnut Cornwallis. Unless I cave this week and get a walnut Warwick or Leiden.

I am also not a fan of navy suits, especially not the dark kind that veers towards midnight. My favorite suits are mid or light grey - some shades of mid blue, mid brown, and green/olive are also very nice - but so far as dark suits are concerned, I prefer charcoal. I also think that dark brown suits should replace navy as the other formal suit color. The "country" association makes no sense given that we're not British aristocrats.
    They're actually Magnanni Miro in tobacco: https://www.amazon.com/Magnanni-Mens...019O0KIZS?th=1

(Note that fresh out the box, they're lighter than pictured; I've spent two years with AE walnut polish and subsequently Saphir cognac getting them to exactly that shade.)

I don't own a black suit and would never wear one, except maybe a black tuxedo to a black tie function where I couldn't get away with something else -- and that's happened to me exactly never; even to formal hall at Cambridge I wore a midnight blue tux. Why? Among other reasons, they're terribly funereal. Same with black shoes.

I had a charcoal Prince of Wales suit, but I sold it because it didn't get enough wear. Especially now that I'm in Louisiana, my rotation is a natural linen SS Havana, wheat linen Ludlow jacket (linked), silvery blue cotton Thompson, and blue cotton seersucker Thompson. My next acquisition is, fingers crossed, a SM copper linen/silk, so I'm moving closer to dark brown!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quoted
    498 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    My walnut Strands just arrived from Nordys and they are darker than both of my other pairs of AE walnut shoes. Am I disappointed though? Nope. Not at all. The darker shade goes well. In the past I've found that some of the walnut shoes in my collection are a little light at times for what I want to wear. These new ones seem to strike a perfect balance.
    I've heard that about walnut getting a bit darker. I guess that's because of the discontinuation of bourbon. But so long as it still has the distinctive underlying orange hues of walnut, then I'm fine with it, too. I didn't pick up either a Warwick or a Leiden, so next up is the walnut Cornwallis, but not until March 2018 at the earliest.

Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    801 Post(s)
    Well. I'm weak. Oh so weak. I bought a pair of Neumok in navy form the shoebank. They should be getting here later this week. I'm hoping that a) the seconds aspect of them isn't all that bad and b) I can figure out what to wear with a pair of blue shoes.

I may have to post a question about that. Stay tuned...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    309 Post(s)
    I have a pair of blue suede bucks that are tough to pair. Cords and different shade denim is the best bet as well as off white chinos.

On a similar note, I got a pair of Higgins Mills firsts, using the clearance price and the $50 off $250 Amex deal. Total $220 including tax. I recently got the JCrew roughout Chippewas and interested to see which one I would keep. Looking for a casual boot to wear mostly with jeans and cords, that can withstand rain, slush and the occasional snow.

Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    801 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doomx View Post
    I have a pair of blue suede bucks that are tough to pair. Cords and different shade denim is the best bet as well as off white chinos.
    Yeah, that is what I'm worried about. I was about to buy a pair of Neumok in brown I already own pairs of brown shoes. So I thought I'd mix it up and go for a pair of shoes in navy. I'll see how good I am with pairing them. I'm thinking about a pair of grey jeans/pants? Maybe light green?

Whenever I think of green though I'm reminded of what my uni roommate said to me once "purple and green should never be seen unless it's in the washing machine". While navy isn't purple, maybe it is close enough for the adage to apply?