Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy denim jeans?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Even if denim is sanforized, it can still be raw. Gustin, Iron Heart, etc. are all raw denim. So are Iron Hearts, N&F, APC, Unbranded, etc. Every manufacturer in that thread sells raw denim. I was hoping to find NON-RAW denim of a heavier weight. Is there another term for this? It sounds like this isn't really clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Raw just means that the denim is unwashed/chemically treated/sand blasted etc etc. Read the reddit faq and the related heddels article.

If I were you I would just buy one of those brands or buy another pair from Gustin, wear'em to hell and wash'em a few times if you dont like the stiffness. I could be wrong but mass market brands i.e levi's, uniqlo, wrangler etc are unlikely to have heavier weight denim due to costs and difficulty in working with heavyweight denim (anything heavier than 18 oz.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/rawdenim/wiki/faq

https://www.heddels.com/2011/09/the-...100th-article/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Ok, so based on that statement, I already know what raw means.

Sounds like my initial assessment of a lack of manufacturers was correct. Was looking for some other options but if I'm looking for a unicorn, I'll just pick up a horse and a party hat instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Cool, mind if i ask why not buy iron heart, gustin, unbranded etc?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    I did buy Gustin and I like them, but I was hoping for something that was already broken in and not just dark indigo to start with. My original pair of Gustins look great now, but they're also 3 years old. I don't want to wait for more "sick fadez" if I can help it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)
    I think you are going to have a very hard time finding non-raw heavyweight denim. That said, I don't think you should be so adverse to raw. Unbranded makes a 21oz heavyweight for $118. It's Sanforized, and raw... however, due to the weight, they supposedly start to fade very quickly, so they won't retain that crisp solid indigo look for long. The Unbranded 21oz is probably your best bet from a cost prospective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Gotcha @beatle, yeah get a pair of fast fading raws ^see above and throw them in the wash a few times, hang them to dry in the sun each time, they will for sure soften up and get lighter.