Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meermin and AE alternatives?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)
    https://parisiangentleman.co.uk/2015...-2016-part-12/

Shoe reviews across the price spectrum. I still think AE or Meermin has the best price to quality ratio out of all the brands, but if you're looking to make the next step up, I'll echo the above suggestions: Carlos Santos, J. Fitzpatrick, Carmina, and Cobbler Union.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    I also say Cobbler Union. I am in Atlanta, so it is easier for me, but their shoes are excellent. On top of that, their employees have been amazing. Love that store and their products.

I have been trying to pick up a cheaper pair of Chukkas but keep getting drawn back to their model.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quoted
    486 Post(s)
    I don't think Sanders is really on a par with AE (or with Loake's 1880 line). I'd put it more on a par with the Loake Shoemaker line, which is made in England but uses inferior leathers to the 1880 line.

In the one step up, you could add Alden and Trickers. Rancourt and Co is on a par with AE or perhaps half a step up.

Alfred Sargent has a line that's on a par with Crockett and Jones.

John Lobb is at least on a par with any of the ones in the Edward Green tier, and probably slightly better.

Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    Similar in pricing/ quality:
    Herring branded GYW shoes, Sanders, Loake (made in England only, not the India sourced)

Step up:
    Carlos Santos, JFitzpatrick, Carmina, Yanko, Cheaney, Alfred Sargent

Next step up:
    C&J is probably your best value/dollar, Vass, Enzo Bonafe, Antonio Meccariello RTW and MTO

Up again:
    Edward Green ( I will own Dovers one day), Gaziano & Girling ( I will own Sinatras one day), Antonio Meccariello Aurum MTM and Argentum MTM

Top RTW:
    St. Crispins

Bespoke, but not all bespoke is created equal

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srlclark View Post
    I don't think Sanders is really on a par with AE (or with Loake's 1880 line). I'd put it more on a par with the Loake Shoemaker line, which is made in England but uses inferior leathers to the 1880 line.

In the one step up, you could add Alden and Trickers. Rancourt and Co is on a par with AE or perhaps half a step up.

Alfred Sargent has a line that's on a par with Crockett and Jones.

John Lobb is at least on a par with any of the ones in the Edward Green tier, and probably slightly better.

It wasn't intended to be a comprehensive list of all shoemakers. It's a list of what I could remember based on either my hands-on experience, or hands-on experience of people whose judgement I trust. At least 2 people I trust put Sanders Diplomat above AE in quality and the next lower line as similar with slightly less quality leather. The AEs I have that are 10+ years old are a grade better than the ones I have bought in the last 3 years and I don't expect them to get better once the new management is fully in charge. I don't actually know anyone who owns Lobb and I haven't researched them since they are far beyond my price range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    i'm on board with JFitzpatrick. for a size reference reference, (in AE) i'm an 11.5 E on the 65 last, 11 E on the 201 last, and a 11.5 E on the 1943 last. I bought the JFitzpatrick NGT last in 10.5 (UK size) and it fits me great. furthermore, they seem to actually have some quality control over at JFitzpatrick unlike AE.

I also like my Herring shoe, Herring Henry II, which is made by Alfred Sargent on the 109 last. the waist of that shoe is real skinny, and my foot is almost a wide, but it is still working out. there were some QC issues on that purchase, but the company did replace my pair. however, what they find acceptable and what i find acceptable wasn't really in accordance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I recently bought a pair of Yanko loafers off Patine that I am really happy with. Previously I'd bought all my shoes from AE and Meermin. I love the way Meermin shoes look, but they are hell on my feet - I think the issue is not the last shape so much as the fact that their leather is so rigid. AE shoes, on the other hand, have nice soft leather that doesn't hurt my feet, but their shoes look less sleek. Yanko strikes a nice balance of looking sleek but not destroying my feet.