Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meermin and AE alternatives?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Meermin and AE alternatives?

I've got a pretty good collection of dress shoes, primarily made up of Meermin and some of the newer sleeker AE lasts. I really like the sleek Meermin last designs. I'm looking to branch out to other brands, can anyone recommend some other brands to consider?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    JFitzpatrick. When I made the jump from AE/Meermin up to JFitzpatrick, it was a substantial and eye opening step up in quality for not much more cash. Especially if you are able to pull the trigger within the next week or so, they are having their bi-annual clearance sale. You can't get better quality for the money with those markdowns. From there, I think you are looking to Carmina. Cobbler Union looks interesting, but not a ton of reviews out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion, I've actually been eying up J Fitzpatrick, any recommendation in their sizing? I'm generally a 7.5D in almost all AEs.

Quote Originally Posted by CMAc7 View Post
    JFitzpatrick. When I made the jump from AE/Meermin up to JFitzpatrick, it was a substantial and eye opening step up in quality for not much more cash. Especially if you are able to pull the trigger within the next week or so, they are having their bi-annual clearance sale. You can't get better quality for the money with those markdowns. From there, I think you are looking to Carmina. Cobbler Union looks interesting, but not a ton of reviews out there.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    I'm an 8D in most AE's and I take a 7 in JFitzpatrick. They have a higher instep too, much like Meermin which is actually better for my high arches.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Quoted
    562 Post(s)
    For me carmina, was the next logical step up. Coming in at 450 RTW with shoe trees, it's not too much more. If you want the same price range, skoak, gentleman's footwear and the carmina outlet often have the shoes discounted down to about 330. Or if you can catch that carmina massdrop next time around.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Just to be clear, you take a 7UK in JFitzpatrick? I've also got a high arch so sounds like this may be a great fit!

Quote Originally Posted by CMAc7 View Post
    I'm an 8D in most AE's and I take a 7 in JFitzpatrick. They have a higher instep too, much like Meermin which is actually better for my high arches.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Yep. 7UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Seconding jfitzpatrick. Have a handful of AE's, but wanted something a little different and jfitzpatrick was definitely what I needed.

It seems of you want more of the traditional designs than carmina would be the good step up.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    Holding out for that next Carmina massdrop.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)
    Similar in pricing/ quality:
    Herring branded GYW shoes, Sanders, Loake (made in England only, not the India sourced)

Step up:
    Carlos Santos, JFitzpatrick, Carmina, Yanko, Cheaney, Alfred Sargent

Next step up:
    C&J is probably your best value/dollar, Vass, Enzo Bonafe, Antonio Meccariello RTW and MTO

Up again:
    Edward Green ( I will own Dovers one day), Gaziano & Girling ( I will own Sinatras one day), Antonio Meccariello Aurum MTM and Argentum MTM

Top RTW:
    St. Crispins

Bespoke, but not all bespoke is created equal