Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekend beater watch?

Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    801 Post(s)

Weekend beater watch?

Do any of you guys have and/or wear a weekend beater watch? Say for heading out and running errands, washing the car, etc. Or do you wear your nice watch all the time?

Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1474 Post(s)
    I definitely switch watches for more utilitarian purposes. I tend to wear a beater - usually my L.L. Bean field watch - when I know I'm going to be hanging out with my dad since I virtually always get roped into some kind of manual labor with him, whether it's yard work or renovations or moving furniture or working on boats/four-wheelers/etc. I also wear a G-Shock for my crossfit workouts since we are always doing weird, dirty stuff like flipping tires and throwing sandbags. Even the G-Shock comes off sometimes because it just gets in the way of gymnastics ring work.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    230 Post(s)

Weekend beater watch?

My weekend beaters are my CW trident divers and my Seiko alpinist. Don't get me wrong, they are certainly nice watches, but they are kind of made to be great beaters. I will wear them for just about anything and just swap out the strap to meet the occasion. My Grand Seiko is my only true "dress watch" and as such gets the majority of the wrist time during the work week.

*EDIT* the one watch I default to for occasions where I will be getting dirty is my Victorinox infantry watch.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    I've had a handful of different watches over the years. The most expensive of which is the Orient Ray.

But, for the last 6 years, I have defaulted to this field watch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I changed out the green band, and ordered a gray colored one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually dropped the watch a month ago and broke the case, so I just finally ordered a replacement.

Maybe unconventional, but it is silent, not like a timex weekender. I cannot stand those watches, and the last few I had, I needed to put them in a drawer across the room.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    I have a Seiko 5 (in blue and tan ). Automatic, durable, canvas band. Nice but small. If I were shopping today I would get the one from Joes post earlier this week.
    https://www.jomashop.com/citizen-watch-aw7038-04l.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    I got a Seiko SKX009 as a 'beater'. that said i baby all my watches so its still not for any rough and tumble, just something i dont mind getting sweat and water on.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)
    I have two watches that qualify as beaters

Casio MDV106 on a NATO https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MDV106-.../dp/B009KYJAJY

or

Casio g-shock DW5600 https://www.amazon.com/G-shock-DW560.../dp/B000GAYQKY

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)
    I tried using "nice" beaters with sapphire crystals (i.e., tool-ish divers), but I kept babying them. So I sold those, and bought a pre-scratched MDV102. I love the rugged look of it (and my toddler loves playing with the light), and I don't think twice about beating it up. My dress watch is pretty tough (screw-down crown, sapphire crystal), and it could be dressed down for more rugged occasions, but I've come to accept that the risk of damaging a nice watch is too great for me to justify subjecting it to abuse. I'm probably just super cheap, but I can live with that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure I own almost exclusively beaters but that's because they're cheap and I'm not ready to spring for anything over 200 bucks yet. My Casio diver take the brunt of the punishment though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    My Seiko 5 in blue and Timex Weekender Chrono (it doesn't have a stupid loud tick) are my weekend and "evening in" watches.