Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket square organizer input

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Pocket square organizer input

Hey guys I do woodworking as a hobby and recently built this pocket square organizer rack for my closet. I noticed there aren't too many great options for for storing pocket squares other than a box or stuffing them in a drawer so that's why I came up with this design. I have thought about selling different woodworking projects on the side on etsy or something. Basically I wanted to get some feedback to see if people would actually buy something like this and to get some design input. I understand this is kind of a niche product, but I have not found much else like it besides Kent Wang's PS rack.

Here's a couple thing I would like to know:
    Would you buy this and how much would you pay?
    How many pocket squares would this need to hold?
    Would it be useful to add an additional board and pegs for ties?
    Would you pay more if this was built from a more premium hardwood?

Any input or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    That looks awesome! You should keep your lapel pins up there, too!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    That looks awesome! You should keep your lapel pins up there, too!
    Thanks man! Yeah the top shelf works great for storing small accessories. And the clips would work well for holding other small things such as extra watch straps too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)
    Looks great. I don't think I would buy though because I don't want my pocket squares "on display" via a shelf. That design takes up more space than my box. If somehow it could interact with one of the modularized closet systems (we have ELFA from Container Store) then I'd be more intrigued then drilling and mounting elsewhere in my room. That is probably just my preference.

Since it doesn't really fit a need I have my answers below might just be an outlier in your sample size:

Would you buy this and how much would you pay? As-is I wouldn't. If intrigated into the modularized system mentioned above yes. And I'd prob pay 20-30. Reason being is it doesn't currently fill a need it's a want item.
    How many pocket squares would this need to hold? For me probably 15-25. Needs to be more useful than a box and I think your selling point is how easy it is to see all your designs versus stuffed in a box.
    Would it be useful to add an additional board and pegs for ties? I'd make it an add-on feature. Sell base unit then allow upgrades as mentioned for ties, premium wood etc. as mentioned below
    Would you pay more if this was built from a more premium hardwood? Not for me. It is a functional piece not a display piece.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    I think the biggest thing that detracts from the overall look is that the rings/clips are white. If you're able to source brown or even metallic silver or brass tones, then it would look awesome. Another suggestion could be making hanging version so it can hang on a closet bar and take up less space/not need to wall mount, but still be able to see all your pocket squares.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Looks great. I don't think I would buy though because I don't want my pocket squares "on display" via a shelf. That design takes up more space than my box. If somehow it could interact with one of the modularized closet systems (we have ELFA from Container Store) then I'd be more intrigued then drilling and mounting elsewhere in my room. That is probably just my preference.

Since it doesn't really fit a need I have my answers below might just be an outlier in your sample size:

Would you buy this and how much would you pay? As-is I wouldn't. If intrigated into the modularized system mentioned above yes. And I'd prob pay 20-30. Reason being is it doesn't currently fill a need it's a want item.
    How many pocket squares would this need to hold? For me probably 15-25. Needs to be more useful than a box and I think your selling point is how easy it is to see all your designs versus stuffed in a box.
    Would it be useful to add an additional board and pegs for ties? I'd make it an add-on feature. Sell base unit then allow upgrades as mentioned for ties, premium wood etc. as mentioned below
    Would you pay more if this was built from a more premium hardwood? Not for me. It is a functional piece not a display piece.
    Thanks for the input! Yeah I definitely think it would be more of a "want" product than an need. That would be neat to integrate into an existing closet though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    @Justang06: I'd buy it if the rings were wood (like @Nandyn said).

Also, frankly, I'd be MUCH MORE interested if it were a larger square with several tiers so I could use it as wall art. I have no idea how to price out woodworking, but I'd probably pay up to $50 for what you posted, assuming it had wood rings, and more for a larger board for holding three rows of ~15 rings apiece.

And when I say I'd probably pay it, I mean hit me up on PM, because I'm seriously looking to buy EXACTLY THAT THING for my new house.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    I think the biggest thing that detracts from the overall look is that the rings/clips are white. If you're able to source brown or even metallic silver or brass tones, then it would look awesome. Another suggestion could be making hanging version so it can hang on a closet bar and take up less space/not need to wall mount, but still be able to see all your pocket squares.
    Yeah I think the clips definitely take away from the look. I have been looking for other options for the clips, but it's hard to find options that look nice, are economical, and won't ruin pocket squares. Definitely like the idea of a hanging option! Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justang06 View Post
    Thanks for the input! Yeah I definitely think it would be more of a "want" product than an need. That would be neat to integrate into an existing closet though.

Welcome, didn't want it to come across as harsh. It's a cool idea, just I think needs some tweaks to hit more than your needs. At least in my life I don't think my wife wants to see my pocket squares on display in our room as a shelf. So thinking through how to fit it into a closet would open up to more people.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    You might also consider replacing the bar-and-hooks with wood clips fixed to the baseboard. You could even put felt pads on the clip 'teeth' if they're tight enough to worry.

Something that functions like this: https://www.imprintitems.com/product...gaAvKREALw_wcB
    Last edited by Hierophant; July 28th, 2017 at 01:08 PM.