Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    737 Post(s)

Amazon Prime Day 2017 Central Topic

To recap:

2015: Underwhelming, nothing was on sale
    2016: Amazon corrected too far the other way and put anything fulfilled by amazon at 30% off, leading to some ridiculous discounts (I'm thinking mostly of watches)
    2017: Somewhere in the middle with a lot of select item sale

Guess I missed the boat last year when I should have picked up a couple watches I really wanted. Was never going to buy much this year anyway, so not a huge loss for me personally.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    To recap:

2015: Underwhelming, nothing was on sale
    2016: Amazon corrected too far the other way and put anything fulfilled by amazon at 30% off, leading to some ridiculous discounts (I'm thinking mostly of watches)
    2017: Somewhere in the middle with a lot of select item sale

Guess I missed the boat last year when I should have picked up a couple watches I really wanted. Was never going to buy much this year anyway, so not a huge loss for me personally.
    I might try one of those GoodThreads shirts. for 18 bucks it's probably worth taking a flyer on one.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    I picked up a fire HD 8 for 50 bucks. Only use will be watching downloaded TV shows on flights or waiting in line at a very popular Austin BBQ joint, maybe a lil web surfing when i'm at home and don't want to fire up my laptop (or risk personal info being stolen off my phone at an airport).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    I just ordered an Invicta 9211. My consolation for not being able to afford a Rolex Daytona. Maybe if I get promoted or retire early I will treat myself to the actual thing

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Looks like some car-related stuff I might want is going up later today. Keeping an eye on that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    I love Amazon - I frequently make purchases from them - but I believe they are becoming the death of retail brick & mortar stores. I'd personally prefer to support the "little guys" or the "hometown, made in the USA" companies, but those products usually cost far more. It is what it is I guess, and online purchasing seems to be the way of the future.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rpd362 View Post
    I just ordered an Invicta 9211. My consolation for not being able to afford a Rolex Daytona. Maybe if I get promoted or retire early I will treat myself to the actual thing
    Might have to retire a little later to buy to real thing.

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2143 Post(s)
    Bought a couple pairs of Adidas Sambas for ~$35/ea for the gym.
    Ben

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    So far the only thing I've bought is a $25 gift card to collect on the $5 additional credit (yesterday I did the $100 reload to get the additional $10 credit). I've got both the Redwing Chukkas and the Timex Flyback (both mentioned in Joe's post) in my cart but haven't pulled the trigger. I actually could use a new pair of chukkas, as my CDBs have lived a long a fruitful life but are starting to wear pretty thin. I do not, in any way, need the watch, and haven't bought an analog quartz watch in ages, but I have always liked the way that particular Timex looks.

I honestly need to do some more digging around to see what's out there.

Edit: Just as a side note, I'm constantly blown away by how cheap Amazon Fire tablets are. I mean, I know they aren't competing with an iPad. But still, you can get a fully functional tablet for $30. That's just wild.
    Last edited by Deke; July 11th, 2017 at 12:07 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)
    I'm so torn... I really want Citizens Chrono, but they also have the Huewai Watch 2 Classic on sale. It's an internal fight between style-conscious me and technophile me.