Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Prime Day 2017 Central Topic

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    So far I'm not really impressed with most of the deals. Considering purchasing a Sous Vide cooker as there are some on discount. I did buy some treats and a couple of new toys for my dog though, so that's something.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Not having much luck. Got some Adidas shirts I already had in my cart for 30% off, but so that's really it. The Sambas are still $65 in my size. Maybe I missed it?

Was going to try a Good Threads OCBD cause it's $15 and casual, but the one color I actually wanted (Indigo) sold out in my size (slim L) while it was in my cart. Joe's image of the dress shirt doesn't look very flattering.

Maybe it's me, but his picks seems pretty weak (or maybe it's just a weak sale). Over priced plastic looking Florsheims and $300 for Bruno Magli?

Also, if you're looking at the Original Penguin swimsuits, they are <$30 on their website with 4% ebates: https://www.originalpenguin.com/sale...olor=434&cgid= and https://www.originalpenguin.com/sale...olor=643&cgid=

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    287 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I picked up a fire HD 8 for 50 bucks. Only use will be watching downloaded TV shows on flights or waiting in line at a very popular Austin BBQ joint, maybe a lil web surfing when i'm at home and don't want to fire up my laptop (or risk personal info being stolen off my phone at an airport).
    I made the same purchase, for basically the same reason.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    191 Post(s)
    Levis

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I picked up a fire HD 8 for 50 bucks. Only use will be watching downloaded TV shows on flights or waiting in line at a very popular Austin BBQ joint, maybe a lil web surfing when i'm at home and don't want to fire up my laptop (or risk personal info being stolen off my phone at an airport).
    Quote Originally Posted by batkins9 View Post
    I made the same purchase, for basically the same reason.
    I just ordered one so I can resolve the omnipresent, lazy-person "I want to sit on my butt and watch Netflix right meow but I also want to sit in hot water and melt into the bottom of my bathtub out of sight of my TV right meow" dilemma.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iviustang50h View Post
    I love Amazon - I frequently make purchases from them - but I believe they are becoming the death of retail brick & mortar stores. I'd personally prefer to support the "little guys" or the "hometown, made in the USA" companies, but those products usually cost far more. It is what it is I guess, and online purchasing seems to be the way of the future.
    Ecommerce is still <10% of overall retail sales. Amazon won't be the death of the companies you mentioned, if their model is right they can make it work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Ecommerce is still <10% of overall retail sales. Amazon won't be the death of the companies you mentioned, if their model is right they can make it work.
    The number is currently closer to 12% and what you need to consider is the growth rate. In 2001, online sales accounted for 1% of all retail sales. To be at 12% just 15 years later shows just how fast the growth rate has been and what sticks out is that Amazon is responsible for almost 1/2 of all online sales. But what's missing from that number is the amount of sales that occur from web influence and Amazon is the leading product research site. As consumer expectations continue to rise around digital in general, online retail sales will continue to grow at the rapid pace they have been.

As we are seeing with Amazon opening up brick and mortars and purchasing brick and mortars that are really good at retail theatre (Whole Foods), the lines between online and offline sales will become blurrier and blurrier. And as Amazon continues to move into areas that have not been digitized as much, like groceries, online retail and online influenced sales will become greater and greater. Given the presence, resources, and capabilities that Amazon has, that is the real threat to traditional retail. The reason why Walmart purchased ModCloth, Jet, and now Bonobos is not so much about those brands themselves but it's that they need the leaders of those companies to start driving the strategic direction at Walmart to be able to do retail in the digital age.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amg1016 View Post
    The number is currently closer to 12% and what you need to consider is the growth rate. In 2001, online sales accounted for 1% of all retail sales. To be at 12% just 15 years later shows just how fast the growth rate has been and what sticks out is that Amazon is responsible for almost 1/2 of all online sales. But what's missing from that number is the amount of sales that occur from web influence and Amazon is the leading product research site. As consumer expectations continue to rise around digital in general, online retail sales will continue to grow at the rapid pace they have been.

As we are seeing with Amazon opening up brick and mortars and purchasing brick and mortars that are really good at retail theatre (Whole Foods), the lines between online and offline sales will become blurrier and blurrier. And as Amazon continues to move into areas that have not been digitized as much, like groceries, online retail and online influenced sales will become greater and greater. Given the presence, resources, and capabilities that Amazon has, that is the real threat to traditional retail. The reason why Walmart purchased ModCloth, Jet, and now Bonobos is not so much about those brands themselves but it's that they need the leaders of those companies to start driving the strategic direction at Walmart to be able to do retail in the digital age.
    Retail sales were roughly 8.5% in Q1 '17: https://www.census.gov/retail/mrts/w...ec_current.pdf

This is generally the quoted figure when people discuss Amazon's presence.

Also, as I noted in my comment, Amazon will not be the death of B&M shops, that the commenter was mentioning "hometown, Made in USA", if they have a good business model. People still love the experience of shopping so it will not die, just change.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Retail sales were roughly 8.5% in Q1 '17: https://www.census.gov/retail/mrts/w...ec_current.pdf

This is generally the quoted figure when people discuss Amazon's presence.

Also, as I noted in my comment, Amazon will not be the death of B&M shops, that the commenter was mentioning "hometown, Made in USA", if they have a good business model. People still love the experience of shopping so it will not die, just change.

That's interesting that the numbers are that different. The number I pulled is from Forrester Research which is a research firm that covers the digital space very closely. Their exact number for all of 2016 was 11.7% according to their latest report (Report is "The New Paradigm of Retail" but you need a subscription to access). I'm guessing that part of the gap between the two numbers is that your figure is not factoring in holiday shopping which happens in Q4 and which may disproportionately skew in favor of online sales. Or it's possible online sales simply went down.

I agree with your overall point but was just adding some context to that number because I've run into too many people professionally who use a number like that to discount and or dismiss the major impact that digital is having. Not at all saying you were doing that but more for others that may see that number for online sales and think to themselves "hmm, maybe this whole amazon/internet thing is overhyped"!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I just ordered one so I can resolve the omnipresent, lazy-person "I want to sit on my butt and watch Netflix right meow but I also want to sit in hot water and melt into the bottom of my bathtub out of sight of my TV right meow" dilemma.
    With respect, isn't the appropriate response to get a 42-incher for the bathroom?