Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A word of warning about the Allen Edmonds' seconds:

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)

A word of warning about the Allen Edmonds' seconds:

As Joe noted, AE is now selling its seconds on the main website, with no phone call needed. And that's a great convenience. But buyer beware!

Usually, when a shoe goes into clearance, the price is discounted. This applies both to firsts and to seconds. For example, the Yorktown at first quality has gone from $395 to $247. However, if you buy the clearance seconds direct from allenedmonds.com, you will be charged the regular seconds price of $299. On the other hand, if you go on to the Shoebank website, you'll see the clearance price of $197. I'd say a phone call is worth saving $102 for! Besides which, it makes no sense to pay $299 for a second when you could get a first for $247.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Noticed similar for the suede Cavanaugh. $217 on AE website and $157 on the Shoebank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    I should have been clearer: they are not discounting any clearance seconds on the main website. They are all at the regular seconds price. I hope there aren't too many people who have overpaid for a shoe as a result of this, and that it's just a mistake. I'm discouraged by the fact that even the Shoebank is now saying that a Warwick second costs $299. The Warwick is on clearance, so it should be $197 or lower.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Nothing wrong with that. It's on the main website after all. I'd expect them not to want to discount their shoes too much to avoid damaging their brand.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    Paying 299 for a pair of Allen Edmonds seconds is insane.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    Paying 299 for a pair of Allen Edmonds seconds is insane.
    It's definitely high, but it depends on what the flaw is. If it's so minor it's not noticeable or discernable when wearing, I'd happily take a $89.00ish discount. But if they have the same flaws as what's available from the shoe bank, then yes, why would anyone pay around $75-$100 more simply because they are listed on the main site? Next time I'm at the Port Washington location I'll make an inquiry into this.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    I went to a factory store at an outlet mall and was absolutely appalled at the condition of what they called seconds. The soles had like holes in them near the stitching that was just stitched over multiple times. It was horrific. I then tried on a pair of boots and the leather was so destroyed, misdyed, and wrinkled it was crazy. ill never buy a pair of seconds from them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    Agreed. A bunch of their firsts are basically seconds at this juncture.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neminat View Post
    I went to a factory store at an outlet mall and was absolutely appalled at the condition of what they called seconds. The soles had like holes in them near the stitching that was just stitched over multiple times. It was horrific. I then tried on a pair of boots and the leather was so destroyed, misdyed, and wrinkled it was crazy. ill never buy a pair of seconds from them.
    Wow - I've never seen a shoe in that poor condition from the shoe bank or the Port Washington location. Has anyone else experienced seconds condition like this?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iviustang50h View Post
    Wow - I've never seen a shoe in that poor condition from the shoe bank or the Port Washington location. Has anyone else experienced seconds condition like this?
    I hope no one else has and to be honest, i dont know how their reputation wouldnt be tarnished selling like that. I would certainly like to think ordering seconds direct wouldnt be nearly that quality especially since they charge for returns of seconds.