Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: T-shirts and shorts in the summer anyone? Or is it too casual?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1462 Post(s)

T-shirts and shorts in the summer anyone? Or is it too casual?

Summer has finally landed in my part of the world. This means I'm now wearing shorts and predominantly OCBDs untucked with the sleeves rolled up because I like the look.

Wife-to-be keeps telling me to relax and just run with the shorts-and-T-shirt look. Trouble is, I don't like the look on me. It seems just TOO casual for my taste. I mean I don't mind wearing it around the house when I'm in what I call comfy clothes. Or if I'm doing work outside on my bike, etc. But if I'm heading out to get groceries, or to the pub, etc. I like to put on the OCBD and roll up the sleeves.

What are people's thoughts around T-shirt & shorts look? Anyone sporting this look this summer? Or are you reaching for a polo as a compromise? Or maybe something else entirely?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I spend most of the summer in shorts and T-shirts, but I also live in California so the rules seem a bit different.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1462 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrikelnel View Post
    I spend most of the summer in shorts and T-shirts, but I also live in California so the rules seem a bit different.
    I get maybe three mos of wearing shorts. Four if I push it and that would be a pretty cold four at either end. So yeah, I'm a bit jealous over here

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    212 Post(s)
    Shorts/tees seems standard in NC, though polos compete with tees for dominance in the casual realm. It's too muggy for rolled up sleeves; you'll almost never see it out here from May to October (outside of an office setting).

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    Now that it's regularly in the high 80s and 90s, I pretty much live in t-shirts and shorts (mostly swim trunks, actually) as soon as I get home from the office and on weekends.

I used to be more concerned about looking presentable, wearing long pants and collared shirts, etc., whenever in public, but now that I work in a suit all day I feel like I've got something of a pass to go ultra casual once I'm off the clock. It helps that I spend my weekends at the lake where anything more than a pair of swim trunks counts as overdressed. I also don't really "go out" much in the evening, so usually I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts to Netflix and chill or to walk my dog.

Best way to feel put-together in t-shirts and shorts is to make sure your shorts are the nice chino variety, pretty well-fitted, not overly long, stick to a simple, fitted t-shirt, and some decent-looking canvas sneakers or loafers rather than flip-flops or whatever.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    I'm in your boat @DocDave. I've tried to get on the solid color t-shirt train. Even tried v-necks and short sleeve henleys to see if that would help. I just don't like it. To me at least, it comes off as trying to be well dressed, but not getting there.

If I'm going to get "dressed," I'll wear cotton (chino-ish) shorts with a polo or an OCBD with rolled up sleeves. If I'm coaching one of my kids games, getting stuff done around the house, or running errands, I'll wear athletic shorts with a graphic printed t-shirt from a race I ran or one of the outdoor companies I used to product test.
    Last edited by connersw; July 7th, 2017 at 09:14 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    I only get about 2 months of hot weather here in the Midwest, so I wear t-shirts frequently during those months unless I am going "out" somewhere (grocery stores don't count). If I want a less casual look, my go-to is the polo shirt. The key (to most things clothing) is to nail the fit. A properly fitting t-shirt looks less casual than an over-sized baggy fit, at least to my eye; why, I don't know.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I used to be like you, polos and rolled-up sleeves only. I didn’t even own a t-shirt other than a few workout shirts. I always donated or didn’t take the free t-shirts at events.

Then, one day on vacation, there was a guy in line wearing a V-neck t-shirt and shorts. He was fit in a lean, triathlete kind of way, and his clothes were cut really well, even the t-shirt. He looked totally casual and comfortable, but still put-together. I had to try it. I even asked him where he got the shirt (J. Crew).

After the trip, I ordered a couple and haven’t looked back. I haven’t stopped wearing polos but t-shirts, both V- and crewneck, are in the regular rotation. For me, as long as they fit well and aren’t too graphic-y (Gap has some nice stripe ones), they can look quite good and not at all sloppy. Also, the summers in Maryland are WAY too hot and humid for long-sleeve shirts, especially thick Oxfords.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    @DocDave
    I also like the shorts + rolled up OCBD look and rock it often esp. if I'm going anywhere other than a backyard BBQ or pool. But I also always wear a base tee with this so if it gets too warm, I can always take off the shirt or throw it to the wife when she complains that it's cold.

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iviustang50h View Post
    I only get about 2 months of hot weather here in the Midwest, so I wear t-shirts frequently during those months unless I am going "out" somewhere (grocery stores don't count).
    Yeah, t-shirts and shorts weather lasts from about late June to maybe early September here.
    Ben