Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: T-shirts and shorts in the summer anyone? Or is it too casual?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    It really blows my mind how many people on this forum can't make a decision for themselves. Do you ask the forum before you wipe your ass, too?
    Or, you know, since it's a menswear forum, maybe some of the people are just interested others' perspectives on menswear stuff.

Anyways, happy Monday.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DandyLion View Post
    I just picked up the JCF Gramercy Stretch short - 9" - in 3 colors. I'm not sure I'm in love with the fit. I wish it were about an inch shorter, but I don't think I'd want the 7" version. And there's about an inch and a half too much circumference at the bottom. They are too straight fit, not enough taper. I measured the leg opening at about 11.5", folded, so 23" total.

Can anyone recommend a short that's about 8" with a moderate taper? I want to look American-preppy, not extreme skinny fit. I have medium-athletic thighs that quickly taper to bird legs at the knees and below. Regular old off the rack shorts tend to look baggy on me at the hem. I don't want to pay more than about $30 a pair, either. Above that price, I'll just keep the JCF shorts and accept that they aren't the perfect short to end all shorts.

I do love the material. It doesn't "look" stretch, but the stretch feature works. Easy to move, bend, reach, etc.

I took a gander at jomers.com (first time) and i see shorts i think i'd like...8" and seem tapered enough, but it seems their size runs are pretty depleted. bummer.
    I was able to snag a pair to try out when the shorts dropped. So far, definitely my favorite pair right now. Quality is on par with their chinos so there's no drop off in that regards.
    FYI on Jomers, signed up for notifications through their twitter feed. On their more popular items like wool trousers and chinos, they literally fly off the shelves. Then about a week later, there'll usually be some returns and will be restocked.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DandyLion View Post
    I just picked up the JCF Gramercy Stretch short - 9" - in 3 colors. I'm not sure I'm in love with the fit. I wish it were about an inch shorter, but I don't think I'd want the 7" version. And there's about an inch and a half too much circumference at the bottom. They are too straight fit, not enough taper. I measured the leg opening at about 11.5", folded, so 23" total.

Can anyone recommend a short that's about 8" with a moderate taper? I want to look American-preppy, not extreme skinny fit. I have medium-athletic thighs that quickly taper to bird legs at the knees and below. Regular old off the rack shorts tend to look baggy on me at the hem. I don't want to pay more than about $30 a pair, either. Above that price, I'll just keep the JCF shorts and accept that they aren't the perfect short to end all shorts.

I do love the material. It doesn't "look" stretch, but the stretch feature works. Easy to move, bend, reach, etc.

I took a gander at jomers.com (first time) and i see shorts i think i'd like...8" and seem tapered enough, but it seems their size runs are pretty depleted. bummer.
    I have 3 pairs of the JCF 9" shorts, and I agree they need to have some more taper. I've been meaning to swing by Target and try out the Merona Club shorts that Joe recommends on the Dappered main site...perhaps I'll head over this evening.

https://www.target.com/p/men-s-8-clu...t_adv_xasd0002

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1455 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iviustang50h View Post
    I have 3 pairs of the JCF 9" shorts, and I agree they need to have some more taper. I've been meaning to swing by Target and try out the Merona Club shorts that Joe recommends on the Dappered main site...perhaps I'll head over this evening.

https://www.target.com/p/men-s-8-clu...t_adv_xasd0002
    I have a couple of pairs of the Target shorts, bought based on Joe's recommendation. Gotta say I am happy with them. Quality is good and the price is definitely right.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tact View Post
    I haven't actually tried Jomers shorts, but I like their pants, and the shorts are 8". Worth a look maybe.
    I bought two pairs of shorts from their last run. One green seersucker and one oatmeal linen-cotton. They have about the same fit as the JCF gramercy, although the shorter length can help them look less loose than the JCF if they fit you right. They're really nice quality. I wear the linen-cotton pair multiple times a week because they're neutral and very comfortable in the heat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I have a couple of pairs of the Target shorts, bought based on Joe's recommendation. Gotta say I am happy with them. Quality is good and the price is definitely right.
    Thanks for the info! How do you feel regarding the width of the leg opening? Is it too large? Is there any taper? I admittedly don't work my legs as hard as I should when lifting, so they lean more towards thin than muscular.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Summer has finally landed in my part of the world. This means I'm now wearing shorts and predominantly OCBDs untucked with the sleeves rolled up because I like the look.

Wife-to-be keeps telling me to relax and just run with the shorts-and-T-shirt look. Trouble is, I don't like the look on me. It seems just TOO casual for my taste. I mean I don't mind wearing it around the house when I'm in what I call comfy clothes. Or if I'm doing work outside on my bike, etc. But if I'm heading out to get groceries, or to the pub, etc. I like to put on the OCBD and roll up the sleeves.

What are people's thoughts around T-shirt & shorts look? Anyone sporting this look this summer? Or are you reaching for a polo as a compromise? Or maybe something else entirely?
    I don't wear t-shirts, other than to sleep in, to exercise in, or to do yard work in. I wear polos a lot in the summer, though. Actually, just ordered a BR Luxe-Touch polo a few minutes ago.

Incidentally, why OCBDs rather than a more summery dress-casual shirt? For example, why not a linen or cotton/linen blend? I find those more breathable. In 2017, I've restocked my OCBD collection and now have them in white and light blue (from BR) and green and light purple (from JCF). But I regard them mostly as three-season shirts because they're so heavy. The JCF ones in particular.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1455 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iviustang50h View Post
    Thanks for the info! How do you feel regarding the width of the leg opening? Is it too large? Is there any taper? I admittedly don't work my legs as hard as I should when lifting, so they lean more towards thin than muscular.
    From my recollection the shorts are fine for my legs regarding the leg opening. I don't think they ride up at all and I don't think there is any taper. If I remember I'll give the shorts a closer look when I'm wearing them next.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    From my recollection the shorts are fine for my legs regarding the leg opening. I don't think they ride up at all and I don't think there is any taper. If I remember I'll give the shorts a closer look when I'm wearing them next.
    Thank you sir. I actually had the opportunity to swing by Target yesterday evening, and I quite liked the shorts for the price (the sale price). Compared to the JCF 9" Broken-In Gramercy variety, they are a lighter weight material and do have a slight taper (or they so appeared). The Club Shorts fit a little better around the seat area, but I give the nod to the JCF shorts for quality and possible longevity, mainly due to the heavier materiel and slightly better construction. That is likely moot, though, as the broken-in variety uses a heavier chino; the "lightweight" Gramercy would have made a better comparison but I do not own a pair.