Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: T-shirts and shorts in the summer anyone? Or is it too casual?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1076 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Now that it's regularly in the high 80s and 90s, I pretty much live in t-shirts and shorts (mostly swim trunks, actually) as soon as I get home from the office and on weekends.

I used to be more concerned about looking presentable, wearing long pants and collared shirts, etc., whenever in public, but now that I work in a suit all day I feel like I've got something of a pass to go ultra casual once I'm off the clock. It helps that I spend my weekends at the lake where anything more than a pair of swim trunks counts as overdressed. I also don't really "go out" much in the evening, so usually I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts to Netflix and chill or to walk my dog.

Best way to feel put-together in t-shirts and shorts is to make sure your shorts are the nice chino variety, pretty well-fitted, not overly long, stick to a simple, fitted t-shirt, and some decent-looking canvas sneakers or loafers rather than flip-flops or whatever.
    I echo this. I am in a shirt/tie/jacket all week so my weekend wardrobe has been LuluLemon running shorts and a LuluLemon shirt. I wake up at 6am with my son on the weekends so I go from eating, to going for a walk, then grocery shopping all in the AM. Then I will change into "my not nice" running shorts and run while he naps, then throw back on my LuluLemon fit to take on the afternoon of chasing around a 1 year old.

If I am meeting friends or going out to dinner I will most likely be in jeans and an OCDB but this is rare. I will do shorts for festivals and such where wearing clothes even feels like a chore because the temp is in the 90s and the humidity makes it feel like I need gills.

Maybe I am one of those "Terribly Dressed Americans"? who cares.,

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)
    I am looking at the temperature gauge in the car and it's says 97degrees. It will stay this way until late October :0.

When I began to elevate my style, I went from cargo shorts and graphic tees to chino type shorts and well-fitting solid tees. I then progressed to polos and the occasional button down with rolled up sleeves (I avoid oxford cloth because of the heat). Every once in a while, a polo can be too dressy. My compromise now is a tee shirt with some texture. Cotton/Linen looks a little nicer and has the bonus of wearing cooler.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    I picked up some striped Ts for this summer along with chinos shorts. I do polos too. Ive got a couple JCF linen long sleeves that I keep thinking to myself I'll put on and roll up the sleeves to look more put together. But they're still in their box, approaching return cutoff. I'll probably return them.

Wear what you want!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    287 Post(s)
    I'm pretty formal in general, but I'll wear t-shirts for quick errands in my neighborhood. I like them in solid neutrals with a bit of texture. The slubby ones from Gustin are great. My other dumb reaches on weekends are a linen popover and a small collection of pique button downs (which are a lot cooler than oxford cloth).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    I used to be a strictly casual collared shirt guy (meaning OCBDs, linen shirts or polos), but I've recently been throwing on a t-shirt with chinos if I'm going somewhere that's definitely casual enough. Mind you, I've tried to find nicer quality t-shirts that look better than the rags I've had in my drawer for the past decade. These pique Egyptian cotton ones (kind of like a polo shirt fabric, but fairly fine) I found from a company in town called KOTN are pretty nice, and not crazy expensive like some "luxury brands".

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    I don't mind the look, but in the name of versatility, I live in wool trousers and shirts all year round. When I have to go to, say the beach, I wear khakis and a polo.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    I suggest nice tank tops from Alternative Apparel and some lightweight trousers. Its an exclusive club but we're expanding.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edmunder View Post
    I suggest nice tank tops from Alternative Apparel and some lightweight trousers. Its an exclusive club but we're expanding.
    Props for trying to expand the club, enjoyed reading your thread awhile back on the topic.

In regards to this thread: For casual wear when it's in the dead of summer, t-shirt and shorts is generally my second most frequent get-up. My most used get-up is actually a polo and shorts because I like how polos look vs. t-shirts on my thin frame. IMO the difference between polos and t-shirts in the temperature department is virtually nonexistent, unless you're wearing some heavy pique sponge polos. The trick is getting a lighter fabric for the polo like a jersey cotton or a performance fabric. My favorite new find is the performance pique polos from BR, really great feeling fabric in the heat.

If you're sticking with the t-shirt and shorts idea, a nice pair of shorts (in the right length & cut) can dress the look up. Jomers had some really nice shorts roll out recently, and JCrew has had some really nice pairs on sale too. Lighter fabrics in less-baggy-than-usual cuts generally look sharp and feel great.

And lastly in response to the thread title: If it's summer, and everybody is melting in the heat, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone to bat an eye at you wearing a nice t-shirt and shorts in a casual setting (grocery store, baseball game, etc.). Heck, people around here wear crocs and workout shirts with the sides cut off and people barely bat an eye. Wearing a nice t-shirt and shorts you may need to be worried about being too dressed up

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    490 Post(s)
    Predominately t-shirt and shorts from the end of June on in DC. It's just too hot and humid to wear a long sleeve for just going out for normal trips etc. Now if going to a bar, restaurant etc. it's definitely a collard shirt of some kind.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    466 Post(s)
    dress to be comfortable in the weather you have. if that's t-shirts and shorts, so be it. just for the love of Chuck, no cargo shorts. i'm pretty sure LBD would ban you for that.