Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a pocket knife?

Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1109 Post(s)

Anyone carry a pocket knife?

So I was surfing some of the #menswear websites the other week and came across a posting recommending various single blade knifes for men to carry.

Here's a link to the post: http://www.valetmag.com/personal-sho...ves-041316.php

This started me thinking. Do you guys carry knives like this? My Dad used to carry small Swiss Army knife on him at all times, but it is something I never got in to doing myself.
    Last edited by DocDave; June 27th, 2017 at 12:04 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I do. I carry one of these every day. I just can't get by without a knife. It seems to be part of my boy scout DNA. I like this knife because it's small, light and cheap. That's good when you forget you have it and have to leave it at the airport or outside the courthouse.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EHUYTQ..._3OyuzbS0G1A5Z

Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1804 Post(s)
    I keep a small VSA knife in my desk drawer at work and in my car. TBH I've found the little scissors and tweezers have been way more useful on way more occasions than a knife. At some point I had a mini Leatherman with a set of pliers on it that was also useful, but I've managed to lose that.

I don't carry anything on me because I am in and out of courtrooms and the jail all day long.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    I used to carry a swiss army knife basic every day but with my current job working with LEOs it's easier to leave one in the car for when I need it. I used to wear one all the time to high school. I bet that kind of thing is frowned upon now. I've put a basic leatherman in all my cars for emergency use. I am also an Eagle Scout so got used to always having one.

My dad carried a swiss army knife every day but after countless times forgetting it was in his pocket when going to travel he's given up on it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)
    No. I've gone with a slimmer wallet and am longing for a smaller phone.

Tell me when and how often you use a pocket knife.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    I carry a Spyderco Delica 4 around me daily when I'm wearing chinos/jeans. I use it to open letters, open Amazon boxes, and to cut fruit/boxes/food when eating. I will clean the knife before/after I use it to cut food.

Oftentimes I will be opening store packaging or just have to cut off tags when I buy something for immediate use. I also use it to cut stray threads from clothing.

It's a useful thing to carry around. It handles better than trying to use a pair of scissor's to do a knife's job - you could easily cut yourself doing that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    I never carry a knife to a gunfight.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)
    I used to all the time. After 9/11, I got out of the habit - no way to fly with a knife if you just take carry on luggage. I have several knives handy at home and take one when i go fishing, skiing, or backpacking...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    No. I've gone with a slimmer wallet and am longing for a smaller phone.

Tell me when and how often you use a pocket knife.
    I carry this knife, and I use it multiple times a day to open packages, trim stray threads, cut fruit, remove annoying packaging.

I love that carbon steel blade. Easy to sharpen, keep it dry and oiled and it will last ages. And if I forget to take it out of my pocket when I travel, it was only $13.

It is also beautiful as an object and the locking mechanism is elegant.
    Donít call what your wearing an outfit. Donít ever say your car is broke.
    Donít sing with a fake British accent. Donít act like your familyís a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Looking to acquire an Opinel soon to carry with me/keep in my car as I've for generally the same purposes as @BillN mentioned. In Texas I might take some flak for carrying a knife so small, but I'm not looking to skin any coyotes so the Opinel seems like a good looking & compact budget choice.