Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a pocket knife?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Yeah, it's called a trite platitude. Ask any real martial arts instructor, not some McDojo one which they would rather defend against. A gun every time is preferred over a knife attack,
    Thats literally not true. You can outrun a guy with a knife. You can position yourself to mitigate critical damage, and most importantly, there are very few people who are proficient in knife combat who can efficiently use one against a trained fighter. There are many more people adequately trained in marksmanship and the degree of difficulty is lower (though not as easy as it looks in media). Its the McDojo's who think that training is so magical cure all that lets you get out of any situation. The stats mentioned before collaborate that (and I'm willing to bet the vast majority of bladed assaults in that stat with kitchen knives in domestic disputes and not on the street with actual weapons.

As for me, I have a swiss army knife key chain and its amazingly useful. The knife part I've only needed for opening boxes (which is a lot since I shop online) and cutting thread/rope. The tweezers, toothpick, scissors and even the screwdriver bit have all been useful. I recommend one for everyone. Haven't come across a situation where I needed a more full-sized mutli-tool but many guys swear by those as well.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greek Trojan View Post
    Thats literally not true. You can outrun a guy with a knife. You can position yourself to mitigate critical damage, and most importantly, there are very few people who are proficient in knife combat who can efficiently use one against a trained fighter. There are many more people adequately trained in marksmanship and the degree of difficulty is lower (though not as easy as it looks in media). Its the McDojo's who think that training is so magical cure all that lets you get out of any situation. The stats mentioned before collaborate that (and I'm willing to bet the vast majority of bladed assaults in that stat with kitchen knives in domestic disputes and not on the street with actual weapons.

As for me, I have a swiss army knife key chain and its amazingly useful. The knife part I've only needed for opening boxes (which is a lot since I shop online) and cutting thread/rope. The tweezers, toothpick, scissors and even the screwdriver bit have all been useful. I recommend one for everyone. Haven't come across a situation where I needed a more full-sized mutli-tool but many guys swear by those as well.
    A lot of comics here, and I know statistics don't matter to some of you, but according to the FBI, yeah FBI, not Joe Schmoes opinion, only 10% of all gun attacks end in death, knife attacks 30% end in death. 3 times the rate of death. Only 1 out of every 4 bullets reaches its intended target. Most people are shitty shots, and it gets even worse when it isnt a linear shot and the intended victim is moving. Of course, a gun is a better ranged weapon, that's not the discussion. I actually work on victims of both of these types of attacks, and knife attacks are normally much much worse to work on. Statistically, most all attacks happen within 9 feet of an attack victim. If you try to disarm a person with a gun you have the ability to grab the gun, wrist, etc. If you try to disarm a knife and grab the blade, your fingers are falling off. If you are attacked by a person with a knife, you are getting cut, there will be cut veins, tendons, open flesh, internal damage(depending on the knife blade) is horrible. Knives dont run out of ammo, and most people are cut multiple times before they even know it because of adrenaline. You can yuck it up all you want, and no shit guns are better in warfare, but damage wise from personal attacks, knives are much worse.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Would love to see the sources for your stats above...
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    ...and most people are cut multiple times before they even know it because of adrenaline.
    this is my point. You site personal damage because you are looking at the victim way after the fact. I am looking at it as using a knife to stop someone quickly. Yeah, I may do damage with my knife and they may die because of it...but not before they get to me as well. If I am trying to defend myself I would still rather have a gun. Showing a gun ends a lot of these confrontations anyway. I plan to carry both in situations where I am particularly concerned though so I guess I am super safe?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    I'm kinda scratching my head at where this is all going but ok.

A knife isn't in my EDC because I'm on a plane so often but, when I'm home, I've grown partial to my CRKT M16 https://www.crkt.com/collection/m-16...automatic.html

That said, like a few others on here, if I'm in an actual situation where I'm going to want to use a knife (Camping, Hunting, etc) I prefer a sheath knife. Partially because it has more heft to it but also partially because it makes me feel like Bear Gryills.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    A lot of comics here, and I know statistics don't matter to some of you,
    I actually love statistics. so much so that I ahte them. No single stat can tell you the story.

only 10% of all gun attacks end in death, knife attacks 30% end in death. 3 times the rate of death.
    I dont want to kill someone. I want to keep them from harming me. If I can shoot them and incapcitate them before they lay a finger on me, I win. If I pull my gun and they run, I win. If I knife them and they die 4 hours later after they do some form of harm to me, my wife, or my kids, I dont win. But according to your statistics, the knife kill is more desirable? No, it isnt. Like I said, I want to defend myself and my family, not kill people. If it happens, it happens, but it isnt my goal. Stopping them with minimal harm to my family is.

Only 1 out of every 4 bullets reaches its intended target. Most people are shitty shots, and it gets even worse when it isnt a linear shot and the intended victim is moving.
    truth. tons of people own guns as well. Tons of people own knives and arent trained to use them and wouldn't be able to draw it and open it before the attacker overtakes them. That doesnt show in your stats at all. circle back to your % numbers...show me the total numbers. 30% of fatalities on a drastically lower number doesn't make it more effective than a lower fatality on a much higher number of successful attack/defend attempts. So I would rather shoot and miss 3 of 4 times and stop that guy in one instance than not get my knife out of my pocket 1 of 4 instances.

Of course, a gun is a better ranged weapon, that's not the discussion. I actually work on victims of both of these types of attacks, and knife attacks are normally much much worse to work on.
    in personal defense, fatality and quality of life after the attack is also not the discussion. in personal defense, the discussion is stopping the attacker. Either by scaring them away or incapacitating them. I dont really care about the medical implications you are discussing. They are somewhat linked but a bullet wound hurts instantly, even in easily repairable, non critical locations. It stops people better than several cuts that make your job hard but the attacker can adrenaline through.

Statistically, most all attacks happen within 9 feet of an attack victim. If you try to disarm a person with a gun you have the ability to grab the gun, wrist, etc. If you try to disarm a knife and grab the blade, your fingers are falling off. If you are attacked by a person with a knife, you are getting cut, there will be cut veins, tendons, open flesh, internal damage(depending on the knife blade) is horrible.
    Fair points, but as someone else said, if I encounter a knife wielding person, I flee if possible. Most of the time that will be possible. Now if we are talking domestic disturbance, etc, thats an entire different ballgame. my defense against that is to not marry or date a crazy person. Some joke there, but my point is knife fights are more easily avoided. If I avoid it then my family is safe and I win...but it isnt in your stats. It does contribute to explaining the much lower number of total knife altercations though.

Knives dont run out of ammo, and most people are cut multiple times before they even know it because of adrenaline. You can yuck it up all you want, and no shit guns are better in warfare, but damage wise from personal attacks, knives are much worse.
    I havent personally disputed this point. I am just saying you aren't talking about personal defense. You are talking medically about injury types. Odds are the majority were very close quarters "crimes of passion" attacks, not muggings, car jackings, or home invasions etc. I am talking about real world, multifaceted personal defense.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbumman View Post

A knife isn't in my EDC because I'm on a plane so often but, when I'm home, I've grown partial to my CRKT M16 https://www.crkt.com/collection/m-16...automatic.html

That said, like a few others on here, if I'm in an actual situation where I'm going to want to use a knife (Camping, Hunting, etc) I prefer a sheath knife. Partially because it has more heft to it but also partially because it makes me feel like Bear Gryills.
    CRKT makes a good knife. I keep a sheath knife (SOG Seal Pup) around the campsite too but still like a folder for most duties, even in the woods. Easier for me to handle.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    This.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1402 Post(s)
    <sigh> and all I wanted to know was if anyone carried a knife with them because Valet thought it was a good recommendation. My apologies for opening this can o'worms.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    <sigh> and all I wanted to know was if anyone carried a knife with them because Valet thought it was a good recommendation. My apologies for opening this can o'worms.
    I feel like this kind of topic brings out all the guys who truly feel that self-defense is a thing they have to worry about on an everyday basis.