Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Yeah, it's called a trite platitude. Ask any real martial arts instructor, not some McDojo one which they would rather defend against. A gun every time is preferred over a knife attack,
Thats literally not true. You can outrun a guy with a knife. You can position yourself to mitigate critical damage, and most importantly, there are very few people who are proficient in knife combat who can efficiently use one against a trained fighter. There are many more people adequately trained in marksmanship and the degree of difficulty is lower (though not as easy as it looks in media). Its the McDojo's who think that training is so magical cure all that lets you get out of any situation. The stats mentioned before collaborate that (and I'm willing to bet the vast majority of bladed assaults in that stat with kitchen knives in domestic disputes and not on the street with actual weapons.

As for me, I have a swiss army knife key chain and its amazingly useful. The knife part I've only needed for opening boxes (which is a lot since I shop online) and cutting thread/rope. The tweezers, toothpick, scissors and even the screwdriver bit have all been useful. I recommend one for everyone. Haven't come across a situation where I needed a more full-sized mutli-tool but many guys swear by those as well.