Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Casual watch options

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Casual watch options

I tried posting this over on the watchuseek forum but I can't include links there so I'm hoping everyone here can help out. I'm looking to upgrade my timex weekender that crapped out on me. I've done some research but having a hard time making a decision. I am looking for some guidance.
    Here is the watch I'm trying to replace: https://www.timex.com/timex-standard...2T68900VQ.html

I am looking for a quartz with a blue faced dial. I really like the Hamilton Khaki Field watch: https://shop.hamiltonwatch.com/hamil...ld-quartz.html

I also found this Alpina startimer which I really like: https://us.alpinawatches.com/collect...cts/al-240n4s6

I am looking to spend about $300 - 400 and have found the Alpina much cheaper on grey market sites than the Hamilton. I am concerned that the Alpina is a big watch. I know my timex is a 41 and the Alpina is only a 42 but it looks much bigger. I am also concerned the orange numerals make it almost too casual, although I like to look of the watch. What are your thoughts on these watches? Any alternatives I should look at?
    Thanks in advance.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    188 Post(s)
    https://www.amazon.com/Casio-Edifice.../dp/B07B98FVQ9

I have a black dial model and I love it. I wear it most days. The bracelet is junk so you'll want to swap in a NATO or nice leather strap.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    If you are looking for quartz I think citizen gives very good value. The have a nice-looking 42 mm field watch with a blue face
    https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Chand.../dp/B07SKKR5CX

The also have a 39 mm blue-faced chronograph
    https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...T0200-21L.html

These are well below your stated budget however.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1151 Post(s)
    the alpina has a bigger dial and smaller case so it looks bigger...but physically n your wrist it should be similar. When you are comparing sizes there are multiple factors to look at. I find that lug to lug is more important than any other measurement for me because it helps me judge if the watch is going to hang over my wrist and make that weird "strap gap". Also camera angles and zoom can greatly impact how big a watch looks in pics. try to get as many measurements as possible and pay attention to proportions like the thickness of a bezel etc.

Hamilton field is classic and hard to go wrong with.

I still want that Edifice. it looks like a great sport watch value.

Citizen is a great value if you want quartz. The ecodrive is great compromise of features between quartz and auto. That last citizen military is a great watch. The strap is super stiff so maybe budget for a Barton canvas strap to swap to. Those are very affordable though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I still want that Edifice. it looks like a great sport watch value.
    I have one of the white ones that I may be willing to part with if you want to shoot me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    268 Post(s)
    Eew quartz :/

There are so many cool auto microbrands you could get for $300-400. Or, hell, get a khaki field mechanical or khaki field auto grey market at that price.

Want to spend < $100? Ok, quartz is fine, I'd suggest Timex as they have a ton of cool designs for under $100. $400? For quartz if it isn't a higher end gshock or some fancy hi-freq movement? No thx.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Take a look at the Timex Marlin variations. There are a few really nice options, not too dear, and would work well in almost any circumstance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1516 Post(s)
    Based on photos alone, I like the look of the Alpina. Are you set on a quartz watch? I believe the Seiko 5 might fit your needs and is an automatic.

https://www.amazon.ca/Seiko-SNK807-A.../dp/B006CHML4I

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    I’ve been going back and forth about buying my first automatic or staying with quartz. Here’s my reasoning. Convince me otherwise: this is not going to be my “everyday” watch. I might wear it 2-3 times a week. I figure this means I will need to be winding it a bit more than usual then and I’m afraid it will wear out the parts faster. I like the idea of slapping it on my wrist and walking out the door without the hassle of winding and setting it every time I put it on. Also not sure I want to incur maintenance costs with an automatic. My timex crapped out after about 5 years of wear so I’m not interested in buying something of that quality again. I want something that I know will last. Hence, the high price tag for the quartz. I’ve looked at the seiko 5, but I’m afraid for the price, I’ll be purchasing another watch or repairing it in short order. I don’t want a micro brand for fear of longevity concerns. I’ve never owned an automatic, so people with more experience can let me know if my thinking is wrong.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1151 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Eew quartz :/

There are so many cool auto microbrands you could get for $300-400. Or, hell, get a khaki field mechanical or khaki field auto grey market at that price.

Want to spend < $100? Ok, quartz is fine, I'd suggest Timex as they have a ton of cool designs for under $100. $400? For quartz if it isn't a higher end gshock or some fancy hi-freq movement? No thx.
    thats totally a preference. Lets not bring the ancient and unsolvable quartz vs auto debate into this one. There are merits to both depending on your priorities. Personally, the movement is like #7 on my list. To some it is 1 or 2. Actually, that might be an interesting thread. I bet a lot of watch newbies would be SHOCKED at the things us watch dorks think about when buying a watch lol. I have some higher end quartz and there is merit, especially in the chrono genre. an auto chrono is expensive and a fat cow on the wrist. But that doesnt mean you shouldnt be able to own a nice one. I love my Hamilton Khaki Pilot Pioneer chrono. Same with the citizen eco-drives. nd that hamiton he posted? If I were in the lifestyle of beating the crap out of a $400 watch, I would wear a quartz khaki when I camped and hiked. I love that watch but am always nervous about impact and what it does to an auto movement. I ahve also had more than one entry level vostok, miyota, and seiko auto movement take a dump and need replacemnt or repair. Maybe that means I abuse my watches. But thats my point...we all lead different lives so sometiems there is merit to something you dont value.

I disregard quartz or auto, the timex watches under $100 are cool and fun but really, they are borderline crap watches. I have had more than one weekend drop its crown like it was nothing. The tick is insane. The case is a coated light brass and almost all shiny. the dials are cheap printed things with no texture or life to them. Its ironic you said $100 because thats about where they get interesting. My 3gmt is a solid damn watch and the tick is barely audible. There are cutouts on the hours, there is more than 2 colors on the watch, and the case feels SOLID, not flimsy. That lets them get the WR past the "safe in the shower" 30m. The waterbury lines all have a better feel in hand too, and introduce some visual appeal to the dial. I bought a Navi Harbor for my daughter and its is fantastically proportioned with some little details that make it a worthwhile watch.