Thread: Cocktail attire tie suggestions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Cocktail attire tie suggestions

Hi all,

I'm attending a gala in a few weeks hosted by my graduate school and the suggested dress is cocktail attire. My plan is to wear a navy suit with a white (or maybe light blue) shirt, and probably black shoes/belt. I'm not sure what to wear for a tie. I don't wear ties much these days, and the only ones I have with me are a black silk knit and Chipp navy blue grenadine.

I'd like to coordinate my tie with what my date wears, but she hasn't decided yet. If she goes with black, I think I'll stick with my silk knit tie. If not, I might be in the market for a new tie. Does anyone have suggestions for a versatile tie that could fit the bill? Since I don't wear ties for work, I'd only use it for special events, weddings, etc, and I'd probably want it to be slightly different than the two I have currently.

I was thinking something in a lighter color, maybe champagne, could be useful, but I'm not sure what pattern I'd go for. I can't really see something like that working with anything else in my wardrobe at the moment though, so I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    With ties being right under your face, it's wise to consider one's skin tone. Yellows, pinks and tans can be tricky.

A navy suit and white or light blue shirt will pair with just about any tie, but given you have two dark solid ties perhaps consider something lighter or with a pattern. Being a cocktail reception you'll probably want to avoid the loud red power tie (also to be avoided for job interviews), but maybe look at ties such as a silver and black Prince of Wales pattern which is a wedding staple.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Prince of Wales tie is a good suggestion, and keeps things muted for an evening event. Depending on the shade of navy of your suit you could do something like this. A patterned burgundy or purple could work too and give visual interest while not being too loud. A muted block stripe could also work depending on how dark your suit is.

I'd opt for a white shirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    I second going with the white shirt (slightly more formal).

Unless you're really wanting to invest in another tie, I would say that either the black knit or the navy grenadine would work just fine for the event, and wouldn't clash with anything your date chooses to wear. Black tie with black belt and shoes looks sharp with a navy suit. Knit is a bit less formal than silk, but hey, it's cocktail not black tie. Navy suit with navy grenadine tie can also definitely be done, just look at Sean Connery's Bond! Helps if the colors and textures differ a bit.

Prince of Wales could be a nice way to change it up, there's also an almost limitless selection of geometric ties that would work for you (I suggest looking at eBay for some really solid deals if time allows), it would really just depend on what your date chooses to wear at that point.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Like others have said, I think you're good with one of the two ties you already own. Either one would go fine with your suit/belt/shoes combo as well as whatever your date wears since navy blue and black are both pretty neutral colors.

That being said, if you're really wanting to buy a new tie I would suggest browsing thetiebar.com. They have an endless amount of options at very affordable prices. You'll definitely be able to find something you like. Although I would stay away from champagne color personally. You usually only see those on groomsmen and you wouldn't want to look like you just walked in from a wedding.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    658 Post(s)
    You won't go wrong following the advice above.

However, because I like a contrast sometimes, I'd go with a burgundy, or pattern on a light blue. Damn to being too stuffy at a gala. Or perhaps a, what do they call those? Club stripe?

maybe something like one of these:

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Diamo...s=16&cgid=0210

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Panam...s=23&cgid=0210

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Limit...s=58&cgid=0210

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Strip...s=66&cgid=0210

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Squar...s=74&cgid=0210

But that's just me.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    With ties being right under your face, it's wise to consider one's skin tone. Yellows, pinks and tans can be tricky.
    I hadn't considered this. I'm pretty light - not sure if that means I should stay away or embrace these?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Prince of Wales tie is a good suggestion, and keeps things muted for an evening event. Depending on the shade of navy of your suit you could do something like this. A patterned burgundy or purple could work too and give visual interest while not being too loud. A muted block stripe could also work depending on how dark your suit is.
    Quote Originally Posted by CK83 View Post
    I second going with the white shirt (slightly more formal).

Unless you're really wanting to invest in another tie, I would say that either the black knit or the navy grenadine would work just fine for the event, and wouldn't clash with anything your date chooses to wear. Black tie with black belt and shoes looks sharp with a navy suit. Knit is a bit less formal than silk, but hey, it's cocktail not black tie. Navy suit with navy grenadine tie can also definitely be done, just look at Sean Connery's Bond! Helps if the colors and textures differ a bit.

Prince of Wales could be a nice way to change it up, there's also an almost limitless selection of geometric ties that would work for you (I suggest looking at eBay for some really solid deals if time allows), it would really just depend on what your date chooses to wear at that point.
    Thanks! I do like the Prince of Wales pattern. Something like that might be worth investing in.

Quote Originally Posted by abh159 View Post
    Like others have said, I think you're good with one of the two ties you already own. Either one would go fine with your suit/belt/shoes combo as well as whatever your date wears since navy blue and black are both pretty neutral colors.

That being said, if you're really wanting to buy a new tie I would suggest browsing thetiebar.com. They have an endless amount of options at very affordable prices. You'll definitely be able to find something you like. Although I would stay away from champagne color personally. You usually only see those on groomsmen and you wouldn't want to look like you just walked in from a wedding.
    I'm sure I'd be set with the ties I already have. The silk knit in particular I think would be excellent, and I'll go with that if I decide against a new tie. It's more that I haven't had any sort of excuse to consider getting a new tie in a while, so I figured I'd see what the bright minds here suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    You won't go wrong following the advice above.

However, because I like a contrast sometimes, I'd go with a burgundy, or pattern on a light blue. Damn to being too stuffy at a gala. Or perhaps a, what do they call those? Club stripe?

maybe something like one of these:

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Diamo...s=16&cgid=0210

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Panam...s=23&cgid=0210

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Limit...s=58&cgid=0210

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Strip...s=66&cgid=0210

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Squar...s=74&cgid=0210

But that's just me.
    Thanks for the suggestions! It's nice to see some pattern options, since my two ties are solid (but textured). I kinda feel like if I get something new it should be patterned, rather than another solid.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by christophe View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

I hadn't considered this. I'm pretty light - not sure if that means I should stay away or embrace these.
    It's less shade and more tone that you have to watch. When one is pale, the tint to one's skin tone become more apparent.

Generally one should avoid wearing a colour that's close in shade and tone to one's skin. Pale on pale in the same tone can leave one looking washed out, while someone with a ruddy complexion wearing red can look to be having a stroke.

Once a colour is incorporated into a pattern this concern pretty much goes out the window, presuming there's some contrast. Similarly, contrasting or complementary hair colour changes the formula, per Chris Evan's varying hair, Anne Hathaway's Snow White contrast or Emma Stone as a redhead versus her natural blonde. Men get to use facial hair, while women have the advantage of makeup, particularly to emphasize the eyes.

Simple guideline is if you're pinkish avoid light or pastel pinks, if you're yellow-toned avoid cream or pale yellow, and if you're beige avoid, well, beige. If you're greyish, see a doctor.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Pretty tough to go wrong with the black knitted. Especially since the formality level is high.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    The cashmere ones that Chipps Neckwear is selling right now might fit the bill. The have brown herringbone, brown plaid, and grey windowpane (looks like solid charcoal with a thin mid-blue windowpane check). Several of their Ancient Madder ties might work too. I have their wool Challis tie - it's only available in olive green with a burgundy and dark blue paisley. I like it a lot but honestly have never worn it with my navy suit (I have a grey wool flannel DB it looks great with and some tweed sportcoats I like it with) but it would probably work. Also have navy and burgundy grenadine ties from them. Chipps makes great neckwear.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain