Yep, never leave home without one, along with other dude stuff

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I'm going to get the clip fixed so that is sinches (I can't spell) down more.
    Almost spelled correctly: cinches, from Spanish noun for belt cincha, which in English then became a noun for saddle-girth, a verb for the act of tightening, and somehow a noun for something easy to do. Reading a bunch of Zane Grey westerns as a kid took me a while to figure out how one word had so many variations and tenses, so the explanation's stuck in my head.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    @Sheepdog149 Your photo looks like something out of a LL Bean catalog! Nicely done.

@Galcobar Yeah, I was having a hard time figuring out how to spell that word. I figured I would just sound it out and hope the heck the rest of you reading the post would know what the heck I was talking about.

@idvsego Thanks for the tip. Sounds like it might a good weekend project for me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    When I stopped traveling all the time for work, I started carrying a knife for the first time in many years recently. It comes in handy a lot. I misplaced my little Victorinox 3-blade knife, and have been carrying the Opinel #5 daily. Recently, I've had the occasion to use it a lot for opening boxes at work, and I have nearly injured myself a bunch of times. Thankfully, the box-cutting dulled the formerly razor-sharp blade, or I would have been in the emergency room. I'm in the market for a lock-open blade, maybe a Kershaw Leek or Chive. The Damascus versions of the Kershaws look pretty sweet. On the downside, Picasso never carved anything with a Kershaw...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    941 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
    When I stopped traveling all the time for work, I started carrying a knife for the first time in many years recently. It comes in handy a lot. I misplaced my little Victorinox 3-blade knife, and have been carrying the Opinel #5 daily. Recently, I've had the occasion to use it a lot for opening boxes at work, and I have nearly injured myself a bunch of times. Thankfully, the box-cutting dulled the formerly razor-sharp blade, or I would have been in the emergency room. I'm in the market for a lock-open blade, maybe a Kershaw Leek or Chive. The Damascus versions of the Kershaws look pretty sweet. On the downside, Picasso never carved anything with a Kershaw...
    well that was a neat bit of history I didnt know.

Leek is a good knife by all accounts. I personally dont love assisted opening blades. The Kershaw Skyline is my favorite Kershaw so far.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    I have a Kershaw Leek in the "blackwash" finish and I really like it. Sharp blade, nice size, nice and slim for EDC. I really like the weight and feel of the all-steel blackwash in the hand, and the way it holds body warmth when it's been sitting in your pocket, versus the ones with aluminum scales. My only complaints are that the pocket clip comes installed upside down (leaving the blade "tip up" in the pocket, versus the safer tip down orientation) and IMO the open assist could potentially make the knife unsafe to carry if the (rather delicate-looking) blade lock were to break. The pocket clip can be moved to the correct position, at least.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    941 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    The pocket clip can be moved to the correct position, at least.
    I believe you mean preferred. Otherwise you can start an internet war in some circles lol. I carry tip up on all my knives. I dont care which direction you are orienting your knife, if it pops open in your pocket its going to be a bad day for you. The blade lock doesnt hold the blade closed, it holds it open. There is an internal mechanism called detent that does that. In some knives there is a ball on the frame and a divot in the blade that provides resistance. In the leek the same torsion (spring) bar that forces it open also forces it closed. You have to push it past the fulcrum point to make the torsion bar push it open instead of closed. With that said, the bar can break. Its one reason I dont personally like assisted knives.
    Last edited by idvsego; November 7th, 2018 at 02:04 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    The Kershaw Skyline is my favorite Kershaw so far.
    I second the kershaw skyline. It's a great inexpensive knife in it's basic configuration, but if you want to go crazy you can opt for a damascus blade or whatever scales you prefer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    DocDave,
    Thanks sir! Yeah, for me a small pocketknife is more of trusty tool than a weapon. You can find so many uses for them. When I was younger, I always carried a Swiss Army PK. Nowadays, I keep one clipped to my pants pocket.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrake View Post
    I second the kershaw skyline. It's a great inexpensive knife in it's basic configuration, but if you want to go crazy you can opt for a damascus blade or whatever scales you prefer.
    I’ll agree with the Skyline. I’ve carried it lot. If you need a heavy duty knife, check out the Kershaw Barge. Stays sharp and is a great shape for boxes and utility work. The other end is made to be used for prying,etc. If you need a work knife, it’s great. It’s heavy though, so it isn’t EDC for me.