Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a pocket knife?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    have owned a buch of kinves, different brands, different shapes, different blade materials, many of them failed for different reasons. My experiences with knives have shaped my opinions. A quality knife that suites your personal needs is one to hold on to wether it be 'stainless' or carbon steel. I have a D-2 steel folder https://mechanicguides.com/best-pock...for-whittling/ that I have carried for 20 years. The blade has been resharpened perhaps 100 times and has gotten a bit thin in the process, it looks like it has been through a couple of wars, dang ugly, but I would not trade it because it works. A knife is a tool, a good tool is worth it's weight in gold when you need it. I have had the best success with quality carbon steel blades hence my devotion to them, but I am not an ultimate authority, just a man with an opinion. Just remember, everything on a knife can be repaired or replaced,except the blade, the blade is the heart of every knife.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)

Not sure if I ever shared this before. But this is the knife that I settled on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    I don't carry it with me on the daily, but I have an Opinel #8 like everyone else for various knifey duties.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    941 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiolar View Post
    have owned a buch of kinves, different brands, different shapes, different blade materials, many of them failed for different reasons. My experiences with knives have shaped my opinions. A quality knife that suites your personal needs is one to hold on to wether it be 'stainless' or carbon steel. I have a D-2 steel folder https://mechanicguides.com/best-pock...for-whittling/ that I have carried for 20 years. The blade has been resharpened perhaps 100 times and has gotten a bit thin in the process, it looks like it has been through a couple of wars, dang ugly, but I would not trade it because it works. A knife is a tool, a good tool is worth it's weight in gold when you need it. I have had the best success with quality carbon steel blades hence my devotion to them, but I am not an ultimate authority, just a man with an opinion. Just remember, everything on a knife can be repaired or replaced,except the blade, the blade is the heart of every knife.
    Technically you can replace the blade if the maker still supports it. Benchmade, Kershaw, and a few others have a great backstock of parts. But I hear you.

Everybody is different but personally, I dont need a knife to last 20 years. If it does, great. Nothing I do is so specialty that I couldnt walk into a walmart and find a knife that would get me by until I get home to my stock. You know the old saying "the best tool for the job is the one you have". I have never had a knife fail me at all. I have had knives wear to the point that I stopped carrying them but because of proper maintenance I never had it in the position that it would fail me in any way. I also dont use knives for things they werent made for. The beauty of this hobby, as with most, is that there are a million ways to approach it and none are wrong as long as you are happy and safe.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    And just like that I lost the knife. Damn it! The clasp was loose and it wasn't clipping to the inside of my jeans very night. Well, lesson learned. Damn it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    941 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    And just like that I lost the knife. Damn it! The clasp was loose and it wasn't clipping to the inside of my jeans very night. Well, lesson learned. Damn it.
    Oh man, that sucks. I had a knife that kept getting caught on my seat cover in the jeep. I would go to grab it and it was gone. Then I get back to the Jeep and its just sitting there like "dude, where you been, I am ready to go home".

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)
    Even with a pocket or belt clip, I still always keep my knife, deep in my pocket. Knives are infamous for catching on things or popping out when they are just clipped on. I learned that lesson myself and also by watching Wranglerstar videos on YTube.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    941 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Even with a pocket or belt clip, I still always keep my knife, deep in my pocket. Knives are infamous for catching on things or popping out when they are just clipped on. I learned that lesson myself and also by watching Wranglerstar videos on YTube.
    I carry mine ion my back pocket, clipped. Occasionally it snags on my seat covers and I have to be careful not to let it scratch hardwood benches and chairs...but 95% of the time it is worry free back there. And no, I dont really feel it when I sit down. Probably mostly because I dont carry monsters.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    Oh man, that sucks. I had a knife that kept getting caught on my seat cover in the jeep. I would go to grab it and it was gone. Then I get back to the Jeep and its just sitting there like "dude, where you been, I am ready to go home".
    Hahaha. That's what happened to me, minus the seat cover. I came out to my car this morning and there was my knife. Sitting gently on my driver seat wondering where I had been all night. I'm going to get the clip fixed so that is sinches (I can't spell) down more. I hopefully that will keep the knife more snug in my jeans/pants pocket.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    941 Post(s)
    Hahaha. That's what happened to me, minus the seat cover. I came out to my car this morning and there was my knife. Sitting gently on my driver seat wondering where I had been all night. I'm going to get the clip fixed so that is sinches (I can't spell) down more. I hopefully that will keep the knife more snug in my jeans/pants pocket.
    most clips are just held on with small torx screws. you should be able to take it off, bend it a little, then put it back on.