Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a pocket knife?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Like I said, there are ten times as many gun homicides as knife homicides in my city. Guns are very available, but knives more so, you would think.

In a one on one scenario, there are only a couple of reasons I can imagine preferring facing a gun to facing a knife.

If I were a martial arts expert, and my assailant were right next to me, I guess it might be easier to control the gun than the knife without injury. I'm not a martial arts expert, though, so this is completely irrelevant.

The other circumstance is a mugging, where the threat of the weapon is meant to achieve compliance on my part. To be clear, I'm handing over my wallet either way, but it might be less likely that the mugger actually use the gun, due to noise and perceived lethality. Or maybe not - I don't really know how muggers think.

In a situation where someone just wants to kill me, I'd rather they have a knife. I would prefer to try to outrun an assailant than his bullets.

Another real world example: in London, recently, a drunken football fan stood up to multiple terrorists armed with knives and lived. In Orlando....

To put it another: even if it's true that most martial arts experts would rather fight a guy with a gun than a guy with a knife, all that really shows is that a knife might better at dissuading trained martial artists from punching you.
    Last edited by Tact; July 11th, 2017 at 06:51 PM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Chuck Morris couldn't fight a gun at 15 feet. If an someone is arm reach away and using gun, they is doing it wrong. The point is range. You can defend or attack without being in reaching distance. So yeah within a foot, maybe somebody would rather defend against a gun than a knife.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    Chuck Morris: "Chuck Morris is the branch manager of the Baton Rouge office of Raymond James Financial Services (RJFS). "

CHUCK MORRIS

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    You laugh, but little do you know that Chuck Morris is an expert in close quarter combat. You wouldn't believe what he could do with just the pen in his shirt pocket.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    I just realized there's a debate going on here about gun vs. knife for self defense. I thought this was settled 400 years ago.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Chuck Morris wears a red tie so he can wipe your blood off his knuckles and go about his day.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    I carry a small Swiss Army Knife on my keychain. It comes with a pen. Yes I use the scissors, pen, bottle opener and screw driver more than the blade.

The Opinel is actually quite ugly. I am pretty sure they are joking when they say it is the prettiest. but still Poe's law.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post

The Opinel is actually quite ugly. I am pretty sure they are joking when they say it is the prettiest. but still Poe's law.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think its the "prettiest" but I don't think its ugly. To me it looks rather like a steak knife so it isn't my cup of tea. but I like the wood handle and it is super light.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    Agreed. I think the Opinel design is overrated. I have one, and use it frequently, but it's nothing I'm aesthetically drawn to.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    You laugh, but little do you know that Chuck Morris is an expert in close quarter combat. You wouldn't believe what he could do with just the pen in his shirt pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    Chuck Morris wears a red tie so he can wipe your blood off his knuckles and go about his day.
    His shirt is yellow to remind his enemies that they will be pissing themselves in fear if they should choose to face him.