Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a pocket knife?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    I usually carry a Spiderco Tenacious. Same quality blade as their knives that sell for 2x or 3x the price.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    When I was a LEO, I carried either a Kershaw or a SOG folding knife clipped to my front pocket in addition to a fixed-blade Ka-Bar TDI fighting knife for last-ditch self-defense. Agree with those here who said that a folding knife is useless as a self-defense weapon. Unlikely you'd have both the time and motor skills in such a stressful situation to deploy and use it effectively.

Off-duty, I always had an Opinel No. 6 or No. 8 in my pocket. Extremely useful. Now that I'm an unarmed civilian working in a secure facility, however, I just lost the knife-carrying habit entirely except when camping/engaging in home improvement activities, etc.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha King View Post
    There's a reason no one says "don't bring a gun to a knife fight".
    Lol, perfect

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    I carry a Spyderco Squeak every day. https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...e-Titanium/936 . I use it pretty often. I clip it to my pocket for easy access.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    I carry a Spyderco Squeak every day. https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...e-Titanium/936 . I use it pretty often. I clip it to my pocket for easy access.
    Out of pure curiosity, what for?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha King View Post
    There's a reason no one says "don't bring a gun to a knife fight".
    Yeah, it's called a trite platitude. Ask any real martial arts instructor, not some McDojo one which they would rather defend against. A gun every time is preferred over a knife attack,

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tact View Post
    Out of pure curiosity, what for?
    Opening packages, cutting loose threads, picking at my fingernails, impromptu screwdriver (but careful not to dull the point), etc., etc. There isn't any single primary use; I just find myself in need of a knife at least once or twice a day for random things. I also find that co-workers or friends often require knives for the same random things; although a lot of men and some women in Texas carry a pocket knife for the same reasons as myself.

I bought the Squeak because it has a short, non-locking blade. Various states, counties, and cities have ridiculously inconsistent and nonsensical laws on locking blades and blade length. Texas recently passed a state-wide law that allows longer, locking blades across the entire state, but I travel to other states for work, so I wanted one that would be compliant pretty much anywhere I go.

I would never try to use this for self defense -- I have a CHL and several pistols I can choose between if I feel the need. I do carry it outdoors for quick, small jobs, but I also carry a Ka-Bar BK2 when I'm doing real backpacking or camping.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Yeah, it's called a trite platitude. Ask any real martial arts instructor, not some McDojo one which they would rather defend against. A gun every time is preferred over a knife attack,
    Which is why real soldiers carry swords and leave to guns to the McWarriors, I suppose.

I don't actually care about this argument, but this statement struck me as particularly silly. In my city, guns are used to kill hundreds of people every year. Knives are used to kill dozens.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tact View Post
    Which is why real soldiers carry swords and leave to guns to the McWarriors, I suppose.

I don't actually care about this argument, but this statement struck me as particularly silly. In my city, guns are used to kill hundreds of people every year. Knives are used to kill dozens.
    Yeah, ranged warfare. BOMBS ARE BETTER THAN GUNZ DURRR. Go ask any martial arts instructor. You'll see I am right.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    TBH I'm not sure a martial arts instructor is an authority on whether guns or knives are more deadly or dangerous. I've done some martial arts classes and most of the instructors are kinda full of hot air in a lot of respects.

According to CDC statistics, in 2014 there were 129,350 assault-related cutting/piercing injuries in the US; there were 1,740 cutting/piercing homicides.

In the same year there were 60,470 firearm assault injuries and 11,008 firearm homicides.

So we're looking at a lethality rate of 1.3% for violent cutting/piercing-related incidents versus a lethality rate of 15.4% for violent firearm incidents.

You still sure you would rather get attacked with a gun than a knife, considering you are more than ten times more likely to die from a gunshot wound than from a cut/stab wound?

Sources:

https://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/nfirates2001.html

https://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_us.html
    Ben