Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a pocket knife?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Ok. So it sounds like a good group of people around here carry a knife. For those of you who do carry a knife, do you find that it creates additional bulk in your pocket? Especially when combined with car keys, change, cell phone, etc.

I slimmed my pocket clutter several years ago going with a money clip and a separate slim wallet for credit cards. I worry that throwing a knife in the front pocket of my jeans (or shorts in the summer) will take my back to my bulky pocket days.
    I hate pocket bulk. I have 1 key on my Keychain and only carry a card carrier with 2 credit cards and a license. My pocket knives go in my back pocket and it isn't bad

TMann
    I don't generally carry a knife because I don't like having excess "stuff" in my pockets. I have a knife in my car, another one in my briefcase, and a whole bunch of them a home. As someone else mentioned earlier, I don't use the blade as much as I do the scissors, the finger nail file and the tweezers, but it's still an easy thing to have around. If I carry one I carry either a small Victorinox swiss army knife (this one) or a small Leatherman multi-tool (this one). Both of the two I linked to are small and decidedly UN-tactical, so they won't scare the locals if I pull on out of my pocket.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I'm just about to order a couple more of these, I just managed to lose my last one. Been carrying them daily ever since they came out (five or six years ago, if I recall correctly?). They're tiny, the mechanism is robust, and you don't have to worry about beating up the blade, just swap out for a new one. I've used them in industrial settings and beaten the hell out of them, and never had one fail. I've found it to be a lot more useful than a more conventional pocket knife, since I only ever used them like utility knives anyway. Also dirt cheap, so if you have to ditch it going through security you don't have to cry yourself to sleep. Currently going for just shy of $8 on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-EAB-Po.../dp/B0016KHW2W

Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeGarcia View Post
    I'm just about to order a couple more of these, I just managed to lose my last one. Been carrying them daily ever since they came out (five or six years ago, if I recall correctly?). They're tiny, the mechanism is robust, and you don't have to worry about beating up the blade, just swap out for a new one. I've used them in industrial settings and beaten the hell out of them, and never had one fail. I've found it to be a lot more useful than a more conventional pocket knife, since I only ever used them like utility knives anyway. Also dirt cheap, so if you have to ditch it going through security you don't have to cry yourself to sleep. Currently going for just shy of $8 on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-EAB-Po.../dp/B0016KHW2W
    Along these lines... I worked for Wal-Mart for a summer in college. We all got "issued" our own retractable utility knives (green if you were right-handed, red for lefties) and holsters. And they were the most useful thing I've ever had... my parents stole mine from me, pretty sure they still use it.
    Ben

The land where squirrels work office jobs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    victorinox sd classic

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Chris Reeve Sebenza Mon-Friday
    Zero Tolerance 0456 Sat-Sun

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Currently Kershaw Skyline as my EDC, was carrying a Kbar Dozier before that, but lost it in an Uber ride. I have a good amount, around 20 folders. I use them for all the things posted earlier, and anytime I need to cut anything. I just like knives, always have. I keep a cheap folder in my car as I used to have to open medical boxes sometimes an it is just handy to have. I also carry a Leatherman Supertool anytime i go out on my boat or kayak, very useful while fishing (cutting line, removing hooks, tightening a random loose reel screw, etc.) I also like the idea of having something on me as a last resort in a physical altercation. Going full ham with a knife is almost unstoppable. A lot of studies say they are more dangerous than a firearm.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Currently Kershaw Skyline as my EDC, was carrying a Kbar Dozier before that, but lost it in an Uber ride. I have a good amount, around 20 folders. I use them for all the things posted earlier, and anytime I need to cut anything. I just like knives, always have. I keep a cheap folder in my car as I used to have to open medical boxes sometimes an it is just handy to have. I also carry a Leatherman Supertool anytime i go out on my boat or kayak, very useful while fishing (cutting line, removing hooks, tightening a random loose reel screw, etc.) I also like the idea of having something on me as a last resort in a physical altercation. Going full ham with a knife is almost unstoppable. A lot of studies say they are more dangerous than a firearm.
    A lot of studies find ways to prove what they want to prove. A knife as a defense weapon is a hard sale for me. Most carry knives are small and require multiple strikes to cause immediate harm. Someone can receive multiple knife would and power through them with adrenaline. Yes, they sustain injury but a sharp knife goes in a land about quickly. I have cut the snot out of my hand and noticed the stream of blood before the pain. Someone intending you harm will have plenty of time to do it before bleeding out from cuts. If you are going hand to hand an instructor usually tells you to go for the soft spots. Eyes, throat, crotch. A good foot stomp or knee strike can be effective. For all of those, I would take a baton or good flashlight over my pocket knife. Or my own foot.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    A lot of studies say they are more dangerous than a firearm.
    A lot of studies are indulging in wishful thinking, then.

Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    A knife as a defense weapon is a hard sale for me.
    Agree. A larger attacker will be able to strike you without you even being able to make contact with a small knife. An attacker of the same size will also likely have the advantage of first strike and potentially a more effective impromptu weapon. A club or rock can each kill or incapacitate with a single head blow, while a small knife is unlikely to cause immediate incapacitation. Especially in the hands of someone not trained for knife combat.

I also cannot imagine a scenario in which I'm under attack but have the time to pull a knife from my pocket and unfold it before an assailant can knock it from my hands or injury me critically.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    I can't think of a reason to carry one on a daily basis, and there are enough places that you can't bring one that it is a potential hassle. On camping trips or other outdoorsy events, I like to carry a knockoff laguiole knife/corkscrew that I've had for years, and I do have some lust for the real thing.