Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a pocket knife?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I do purchasing for a country club, so I am always opening boxes. A knife is a necessity. I carry a Case #133. The perfect size for the front pocket.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    I carry either an Opinel No 6 (stainless steel blade rather than carbon) or a small buck knife - could be the 379 mentioned by several people here but I bought it so long ago I can't remember. The No. 8 is I think the standard Opinel but its blade is 3.25 inches and in Washington, DC (where I live) any blade longer than 3 inches could be considered a concealed weapon. So, just in case the cops decide to stop and frisk me for some reason I figure having a blade shorter than 3 inches is sensible. I don't want to give them a reason. Check your local regulations about that as they vary - in the Maryland suburbs I don't think they consider folding knives to be concealed weapons regardless of blade length so within the metro area there are different standards. The No. 6 has a blade shorter than 3 inches and to be honest it's still plenty big for everyday carry and the No. 8 (I have one) is a little too bulky in the pocket so even sans the DC laws I would probably carry the 6 anyway.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    I carry a Kershaw Cryo. Was never a boy scout but grew up spending 95% of my time outside in the woods and because of that it's basically second nature for me to have one on me at any given time. That being said I just don't get out as much anymore and am starting to warm up to the idea of not carrying one. Right now I still carry one because I handle the office supply orders for my work and end up opening boxes a lot.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    I used to carry one all the time. I carried one in high school (rural high school, technically against the rules but not enforced). I carried one throughout college, for years at my job, and even when I lived overseas. At some point I realized that I used the knife pretty rarely and even when I did, I didn't really need it. I don't generally need a knife to open boxes. On the rare occasion I get a box that is too taped up to easily tear open by hand, or the box has one of those hateful clear melt-sealed plastic clamshell packages inside, there's always a pair of scissors within easy reach.

I don't need more junk to keep in my pockets. (Or clipped to my belt, which is how I generally carried my knife.)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    In NYC, definitely not. But I do have a multi-tool in the car, among others things.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Advice--be wary of the little slider-lock at the tip of the blade when closed. That thing is pretty fragile, apparently. Mine broke pretty quickly. Not a huge deal but if I take it out of my pocket at home and toss it on my nightstand or something, it's been known to open unintentionally.
    I've honestly considered removing it completely. When I first started carrying it, I always locked it before putting it back in my pocket, but over time I stopped doing it. Now the only time it's locked is when it slides up on it's own (I guess when I'm putting it in my pocket). Haven't had any accidental openings thus far, but I'll exercise caution

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    202 Post(s)
    It's funny you posted this. I just went down this path a couple weeks ago, and decided to get myself a pocket knife. Ended up picking this one up, which as been awesome so far: https://www.buckknives.com/product/5...ife/0501RWS-B/

Buck Squire:
    Last edited by drocpsu; June 28th, 2017 at 10:03 AM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    941 Post(s)
    I carry a knife everyday. I probably have about 6 in rotation. I will post more details later but it's something I used to do daily and got back into the past couple of years

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Not a knife, but used to carry a Leatherman 831488 Style PS Stainless Steel Multi-Tool, but had it on the keychain when I went to Yankee Stadium (had taken train/subway to get there...had it on my keychain since I work in IT, the pliers and screwdriver came in handy ). Even though it did not have a knife it was confiscated. Now I have a couple full size pocket knives/multitool, but leave them at home. Usually take them with me when I go hiking.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    941 Post(s)
    Ok, all caught up. I use my. Knife for all of the things mentioned already. Most recently it came in handy at a party. The limes weren't cut and the host was Mia. Nobody wanted to dig through the drawers for knives. So I popped out my Kershaw Amplitude and sliced it real quick. I have a Kershaw Shuffle that is a handy little knife too because it is compact and has a flat head screw driver and built in bottle opener. On little weekend trip recently I fixed the loose toilet seat with the screw driver, opened our pregame beers with the opener and used the knife to trim some stray threads while ironing.

I consider knives like watches. Do I need it? No. Does it come in handy? Yep. Are they cool? Yep.

Currently I have a Kershaw shuffle (3 actually), Kershaw Amplitude, Kershaw cryo G10, spyderco tenacious, crkt swindle, crkt lake 111, a wood grain buck that I can't recall the model of, my grandfather's old timer, a ganzo with a glass breaker in my glove box, and a couple of sanrenmu on order. I think that's it. Oh... My SOG seal pup for camping.