Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a pocket knife?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    157 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    No. I've gone with a slimmer wallet and am longing for a smaller phone.

Tell me when and how often you use a pocket knife.
    I don't carry a knife daily for similar reasons. I make a conscious effort to minimize what's in my pocket(s). But, I do like knives and usually have one nearby. I have an opinel no. 8 in my desk drawer (and it actually gets used fairly often). A lot of people rave about the opinel design. I think it's pretty, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's one of "100 most beautiful products in the world."

I also have a leatherman in the car and a variety of knives at the house that on occasion will make their way into my pocket for a day or two. In a former profession (which required a little more field work and didn't require professional dress) I carried a benchmade presidio daily, but that knife was big, bulky, and would never make sense to carry now.

Probably my favorite pocket knife is the douk douk knife - which I think has a pretty interesting history.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    366 Post(s)

At work not as much as I used to. Around on the weekends it comes into use a lot more. If I didn't work in secure buildings I'd just keep it in my workbag.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    I had a nice pocketknife I left in my briefcase when I went to the city/county building for a permit hearing. Got confiscated, and they don't give it back to you when you leave. Plus they made a big to-do about it. So I quit carrying one. My briefcase is like my whole life, I have everything I need for a meeting or site visit (pens, markers, measuring tape, scale, trace paper, tons of display adapters and power cords) so there is no way I can keep organized. So I don't want to give the security guards any more cool stuff next time I have to go somewhere with a metal detector.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    346 Post(s)
    I carry a Kershaw Leek on the daily. Takes an edge easily, holds it well, and is JUST inside the 3" maximum allowed for folders in the great state of Murraland, which sadly places extremely onerous restrictions on the ability of people to defend themselves (since police are ALWAYS around to stop murder, as Baltimore's record-low per-capita homicide rate shows).

Better than nothing I suppose....

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I carry a Kershaw Leek on the daily. Takes an edge easily, holds it well, and is JUST inside the 3" maximum allowed for folders in the great state of Murraland, which sadly places extremely onerous restrictions on the ability of people to defend themselves (since police are ALWAYS around to stop murder, as Baltimore's record-low per-capita homicide rate shows).

I just recently have gotten into pocket knives and this is my daily as well. It has a bit of weight to it, but it's pretty slim in the pocket. The "speedsafe" makes using it satisfying too.

I picked up a Spyderco Para 2 a month or so ago. It's more of a weekend or doing something outdoors knife though. A little large for daily office carry.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    346 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    I just recently have gotten into pocket knives and this is my daily as well. It has a bit of weight to it, but it's pretty slim in the pocket. The "speedsafe" makes using it satisfying too.

I picked up a Spyderco Para 2 a month or so ago. It's more of a weekend or doing something outdoors knife though. A little large for daily office carry.
    Advice--be wary of the little slider-lock at the tip of the blade when closed. That thing is pretty fragile, apparently. Mine broke pretty quickly. Not a huge deal but if I take it out of my pocket at home and toss it on my nightstand or something, it's been known to open unintentionally.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post

Nice choice!

I carry a Benchmade Griptilian Mini and really like it. It comes in handy nearly every day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've carried a pocket knife for years. I end up finding reasons to use it almost daily, for everything from opening mail to trimming loose threads off of my clothing. After trying a bunch of different sizes, weights and styles I settled on this single-blade Buck knife 379: https://www.amazon.com/Buck-379BRS-F...buck+379+knife

The blade is sturdy enough that I don't feel uncomfortable using it for serious cutting, but it's not so big it's too big or bulky to carry in my pants pocket. It's also inexpensive. I can grab a replacement at Walmart for ~$10 in the event that I lose it or have it confiscated at a courthouse or airport.

Actually, guys who have to go into secure areas, this knife is small enough that I could tuck it into a small crevasse outside of the building and come back and get it following my meeting. It's happened three times, all times that I didn't realize I would have to go into a secure area until I arrived there.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

I went "down" from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone SE. And I love it. It's the guts of a 6S in the frame of the older iPhone 5. It's perfect if you're an Apple fella. I fear they're not going to make another one though, so I'll be holding off on upgrades for quite a long time.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)
    Currently in my backpack I have a leatherman skeletool https://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-Sk.../dp/B000XU9NXW
    and a Kershaw Skyline https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1760-...ershaw+skyline
    at home I have an Opinel no. 8 that I bought on a trip to France https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AMY6GS...a-313972883694

I keep the skyline and the skeletool in my bag because the skyline is much more comfortable to carry, but sometimes I need a screwdriver or pliers and then I use the skeletool. I grab whichever one is appropriate. It's nice to have both at hand when I'm doing field work. I love the Opinel, but it's not quite as practical.