Thread: formaldehyde free dress shirts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

formaldehyde free dress shirts

I have dress shirts from all over the spectrum (e.g. Sand Copenhagen, Canali, Charles Thyrwitt, Uniqlo, JCrew, Brooks Brothers) and my favorite shirts (surprisingly) are my medium slim fit Uniqlos. My concern is the use of formaldehyde in these wrinkle free/non iron cotton and how it gets released onto your body during wear. I try and limit the amount of chemicals going into my body on a daily basis but only recently became concerned with it in dress shirts.

I generally steam my shirts at home since laundering contains a lot of chemicals. Does anyone recommend a brand (price is not a concern) that offers resin free shirts that are relatively easy to iron?

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Stay away from wrinkle free fabrics if you're looking to avoid formaldehyde.
    Generally, I never put shirts into the dryer. I'll let them hang dry then iron why they're still very slightly damp. If for whatever reason I let them fully dry, I'll spray some water to free up some wrinkles first, then iron.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wooltie View Post
    I have dress shirts from all over the spectrum (e.g. Sand Copenhagen, Canali, Charles Thyrwitt, Uniqlo, JCrew, Brooks Brothers) and my favorite shirts (surprisingly) are my medium slim fit Uniqlos. My concern is the use of formaldehyde in these wrinkle free/non iron cotton and how it gets released onto your body during wear. I try and limit the amount of chemicals going into my body on a daily basis but only recently became concerned with it in dress shirts.

I generally steam my shirts at home since laundering contains a lot of chemicals. Does anyone recommend a brand (price is not a concern) that offers resin free shirts that are relatively easy to iron?

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
    I don't know whether formaldehyde leaching into your blood stream or similar from your non-iron shirts is a realistic concern (unless it's irritating your skin, which can absolutely happen) -- but to each their own.

If you want to stay away from formaldehyde, you have to stay away from non-iron shirts. I don't believe there's a wrinkle-free treatment process without it.

Fabric weave, weight, and thread count make a big difference in how wrinkled a shirt gets. Your best bet is to aim for a low thread count 2-ply cotton (100 is the sweet spot) in a denser weave like an oxford or twill. Single ply shirts and thinner weaves (like poplin) will wrinkle more.

(ETA: I don't fuck with non-iron shirts because I think they look plasticky and don't breathe well; instead I buy cotton shirts that are woven and structured to resist wrinkles OR cotton shirts that are intended to wrinkle -- e.g. seersucker -- or I buy linen shirts and embrace the wrinkles.)