Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 Days in Europe: Looking good with as little as possible

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    139 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    He says also required. He needs to bring nicer clothes and also the "uniform" mentioned.
    My apologies for missing that detail.

If that's the case, I would add the uniform along with a pair of light to mid grey dress pants (to work better with the navy blazer and reduce on laundry), or replace the chinos with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pborkstrom View Post
    That's the magic of ExOfficio and merino wool socks. That's over a week worth of undergarments. Even without laundry. It sounds odd to some, but those undies are designed for minimalist packing situations.
    I completely agree with that. It seems strange at first, but a tight rotation of both can work really well and last much longer than you expect.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    127 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pborkstrom View Post
    That's the magic of ExOfficio and merino wool socks. That's over a week worth of undergarments. Even without laundry. It sounds odd to some, but those undies are designed for minimalist packing situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spent three weeks in Italy last year for my 10th. My wife and I each packed 3 pairs of wool socks and it was fine. I highly recommend Darn Tough Socks, they come with a lifetime warranty. If I'd known about ExOfficio underoos, I would have packed 3 of those as well and called it a day.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thank you for all the replies!

I have heard of the magic of merino wool and Ex Officio, but I have minimal experience myself. I do own a wonderful pair of Smartwool socks but beyond that nothing. I would like to slim down on both socks and underwear while still avoiding laundry as much as possible.

As for the black shirt and pants, since I'm studying music it is required that I wear all black for our performances. At least I didn't have to bring my tuxedo!

I forgot to mention that I packed one pair of athletic shorts for hiking/swimming/sleeping/running/the gym.

The shoes is where I'm the most torn. I do think both the sneakers and the boots are great walking shoes (have used both extensively on-campus and while exploring New York) but I'm also not convinced both are necessary. The desert boots are good because they function as a brown dress shoe to wear with jeans, chinos etc. while still being a bit rugged for outdoor activity. They are also great airport shoes. The sneakers however are more casual but can be used for athletic activities and can be dressed up.

I have debated the whole grey suit vs navy blazer thing too. It would definitley be better for formal occasions to have the suit. But it needs to be tailored first and it doesn't seem like there are many tailors in the Asheville area.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I think you've picked really really well. Perhaps you won't need quite so many ties. I think the navy blazer will be more versatile than the grey suit, but I'd be inclined to actually bring both! That way you can wear the navy blazer with the grey pants and the grey jacket with the nearly-navy chinos (perhaps - depending on the shade of grey). Plenty of good alterations tailors in London! And definitely keep all the shoes you've mentioned. Well played sir!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    I much prefer the Uniqlo Airism boxers to ExOficio. They dry very quickly and are much more comfortable.

For more than you ever wanted to know about travel underwear: http://snarkynomad.com/heres-the-bes...-you-can-find/

Also, there are a lot of sites about packing light with an interchangable wardrobe.. e.g. onebag.com. But, once you start down *that* rabbit hole...!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)
    I would pick the gray suit, or at least a gray blazer, over the navy blazer, as the latter would probably look bad with any of your black items. The gray jacket can go with the black pants and navy chinos. Maybe go with a mid gray so it has contrast with both light-colored shirts and the black shirt.

I'd keep the desert boots and sneakers too, for practical/functional purposes that you mentioned. Having just one casual pair for 100 days seems like a bad idea as it would quickly wear out unless you alternate regularly with the formal black shoes.