Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mankles

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    I'm glad that the rolled cuff is in, cuz I'm only 5'6" and there's almost no retailer that makes clothes for short people (and most pants that are 28" length also happen to be 28 or less waist, so no good for non-anorexic body types). That said, I don't roll enough to show off full sexy, sexy ankle.

Junior Member Whiskeyburrito259's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thank you guys. I'm pretty well isolated in life as the only man I know who bothers to dress well. Most of my friends are engineers, and these guys just don't really get it. It really is nice to have opinions validated sometimes, especially when every style website on the planet (even those that don't normally embrace trends) follows this look like a religion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    230 Post(s)

Mankles

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyburrito259 View Post
    I'm pretty well isolated in life as the only man I know who bothers to dress well. Most of my friends are engineers, and these guys just don't really get it.
    I feel you man. My workplace is a bit more on the formal side and I only know ONE other guy who actually wears stuff that fits properly and looks good, and we work in different buildings! Social circles? Majority of my friends work as web engineers and in the game development world which means their closets are 90% jeans and t-shirts.

Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1474 Post(s)
    When it's hot I will roll jeans or chinos up a little with sockless (or rather, no-show sock-ful) loafers, boat shoes, sneakers, etc.

I wouldn't do it with a suit or other dress trousers, of course.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyburrito259 View Post
    At what point did it become a requirement to wear pants that are 3" too short with every outfit, and show off your ankles? Why does every single style website embrace this look? Am I the only person who believes that this is a trend that will be outdated soon, and everyone will look back and realize that it looks dumb? Am I the only person who thinks that it messes with a person's proportions, and unless you are a tall, athletic, incredibly fit man, it looks very unflattering?

Does everyone think it looks good, and I'm the crazy one? Or do you agree with me, that it mostly looks stupid?
    Fit is arbitrary. Contemporary trouser length guidelines (full, half, or no break, but that's as high as it goes) are only as old as the industrial revolution and the contemporary two- and three-piece suit; pre-industrial European male court fashion had completely different rules for length.

If you don't like it, that's fine. But acting like there's a Right Way is nonsense. There's only tradition (which is never as old as you think) and whether you like it or not.

ETA: some of my suits are no-break; some of them are an inch above the shoe; some of them are cuffed, some aren't; some of them are average lapel, some are slim; most days I wear a suit, a crew-neck tee or sweater, a pocket square, patterned socks, and dub monks/suede Chelseas/walnut Daltons. It all works for me. Doesn't have to work for anybody else.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    236 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    ETA: some of my suits are no-break; some of them are an inch above the shoe; some of them are cuffed, some aren't; some of them are average lapel, some are slim; most days I wear a suit, a crew-neck tee or sweater, a pocket square, patterned socks, and dub monks/suede Chelseas/walnut Daltons. It all works for me. Doesn't have to work for anybody else.
    Man, I'm gonna need to see some of these fits in the WIWT thread!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    It looks dumb, and feminine as hell when it's slim. The two extremes should be no break and full break, with half break being perfect for any time period. When the pants are hanging while you're standing still it just looks like you outgrew them and couldn't be bothered to buy a new pair.

But I'm not complaining. I can still find pants that fit me right, and the dumber these fashionistas look the better my style looks in comparison.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    236 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    It looks dumb, and feminine as hell when it's slim.
    Uh oh, are we gonna get into a debate on femininity and masculinity?

Also...

Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    half break being perfect for any time period.
    Nah. Quarter-break master-race

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
    Uh oh, are we gonna get into a debate on femininity and masculinity?
    If so, we might as well combine this thread with the romphim thread and just get it all over with at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    236 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerpenguin View Post
    If so, we might as well combine this thread with the romphim thread and just get it all over with at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Comments like this are why I wish there was some sort of like/voting system on this forum.