Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mankles

Junior Member Whiskeyburrito259's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Mankles

At what point did it become a requirement to wear pants that are 3" too short with every outfit, and show off your ankles? Why does every single style website embrace this look? Am I the only person who believes that this is a trend that will be outdated soon, and everyone will look back and realize that it looks dumb? Am I the only person who thinks that it messes with a person's proportions, and unless you are a tall, athletic, incredibly fit man, it looks very unflattering?

Does everyone think it looks good, and I'm the crazy one? Or do you agree with me, that it mostly looks stupid?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    241 Post(s)
    No, you just suffer from confirmation bias.

It's only fast/high fashion that does the cropped look. You don't like it, so you're looking for it specifically while everyone who's sensible is actually wearing trousers that fit properly. Also,

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyburrito259 View Post
    unless you are a tall, athletic, incredibly fit man, it looks very unflattering
    Lol welcome to everything, ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJMichaelRay View Post

It's only fast/high fashion that does the cropped look. You don't like it, so you're looking for it specifically while everyone who's sensible is actually wearing trousers that fit properly.
    Same series of questions, but applied to when the cuff of the pants is rolled up a few inches to show off the ankles. Still looks bad in my opinion. Primer, which is not high fashion does this with Every. Single. Outfit. As if it is non-optional. This is a stupid trend right, that will go away soon? Right? Right?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    It is a fashion trend, and like every other popular fashion trend most style websites will jump on board with it, and some people will love it, some will hate it, it will run its course, it will start feeling played out, a new trend will start, the old one will look out dated, and style websites will get on board with the new one, and some people will love it, some will hate it, it will run its course, and a new trend will start.........

This particular trend is not my favorite, but we have lived through far worse in my opinion

edit: If you don't like the look of cuffed pants, don't cuff your pants, who cares if other people do it....and if a particular brand latches onto a trend you don't like, buy from different brands

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    842 Post(s)
    Same series of questions, but applied to when the cuff of the pants is rolled up a few inches to show off the ankles. Still looks bad in my opinion. Primer, which is not high fashion does this with Every. Single. Outfit. As if it is non-optional. This is a stupid trend right, that will go away soon? Right? Right?
    Likely. Unless you're, you know, at the beach or the like when you're doing it purposefully. To put it in perspective, think of these as the pants version of popping your collar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Me27 View Post
    edit: If you don't like the look of cuffed pants, don't cuff your pants, who cares if other people do it....and if a particular brand latches onto a trend you don't like, buy from different brands
    Thanks for the words of wisdom, but I was actually able to figure that part out all by myself. I really just wanted to know other people's opinion on the look, as I often feel like the only person who dislikes it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Quoted
    758 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Likely. Unless you're, you know, at the beach or the like when you're doing it purposefully. To put it in perspective, think of these as the pants version of popping your collar.
    yeah, this. I have cuffed my pants up a bit but only when I am outside and wearing boat shoes. And also not over the ankles. Just enough to open it up for airflow and let some air in and out. It definitely has a cooling effect. Other than that, nope.

like maybe this much skin showing

https://thedapperlabel.files.wordpre...0/img_0328.jpg

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    Not to the point of total ankle exposure, but I feel like catalogs have always trended towards high waters. For some reason I was extra aware of it growing up, since I was a tall lanky kid who frequently out grew his inseam. I remember seeing ads and catalogs and such and thinking "why would anyone choose to have the bottom of their pants that high".

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    241 Post(s)
    That's why I also included fast fashion in my response. You gotta remember there was a time when JYNCO jeans were considered popular. This is just the other side of that pendulum and it's sure to go away as well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Thanks for the words of wisdom, but I was actually able to figure that part out all by myself. I really just wanted to know other people's opinion on the look, as I often feel like the only person who dislikes it.

I like that overall men's pants have trended towards a more tailored fit with a length that gives a partial or no break in the leg, however when that is taken to the extreme of a super tight fit, or an inseam length that ends before the ankle (or is cuffed to be that way), I find it a little silly looking. Still, recently I have had no issues finding pants that fit me the way I like, so I really have no complaints about the state of things.